Tips and Tricks for Staying Organized in College

A year-long planner can be your savior.

35
blogspot.com

If you're anything like me, you thrive in environments that are organized and have some sort of structure to them. In high school, we have it pretty easy: teachers usually write your schedule for you every day, reminding you what you need to get done. Sometimes they give you sheets to take notes on, and highlight things that are important. College, however, is a whole different game. When I first started my classes freshman year, I was filled with anxiety y when I realized how much I had to depend on myself to stay organized. In reality, no one cares if you finish that paper on time but you, so you have to develop ways to be mindful of what you have to get done and do it in the best way possible. Here are some things that really helped me stay organized while I figured out the ins and outs of college life.

Use a planner.

I literally can't stress enough how my planner saved my life. In high school, my school gave us a planner, but no one used it too much because assignments were usually for the next day and teachers constantly reminded you of due dates. During my freshman year of college, I wrote everything I had to do that week in my planner, and even color-coded my classes and activities. Having your entire life and all of your responsibilities set out in one place keeps you on top of things even when you feel overwhelmed. Planners are life savers, use them wisely.

Write down every major assignment on the first day.

In using my planner, I found that the best way to keep track of long term assignments was to utilize the syllabus. On the first day of class, I would write down when big papers or projects were due, so that there was no surprise once I got to that week. It's also useful to see if you have a few big things due on one day so that you are able to get ahead, avoiding days spent in the library and a major stress freakout.

Take notes by hand.

I know that this tip may not be well-received, but it really is for your benefit as a student. Not only is using your computer for notes an easy way to end up completely zoned out, browsing Facebook in the middle of a lecture, but it is proven to be less effective in remembering information. There have been many studies showing that handwritten notes are more absorbed by your brain simply because of the action of writing rather than typing. I have found it beneficial to write notes initially during class, and then type up study guides or key terms to reinforce that information.

Know different study methods for different subjects.

In high school, I used note cards to study for everything, because it was the simplest and most obvious way to "study." Realistically, note cards help with memorization or formulas, but did not do much for me when I had to know Spanish conjugations. Everyone studies in different ways, but you'll be ahead of most people if you can go into college knowing what ways work best for you as well as for what subjects they are most effective. Whether it's notecards, using the textbook, creating pneumonic devices, making an outline, or anything else you may find useful, studying is vital to success and organization in college.