4 Tips On Becoming Bilingual

4 Tips On Becoming Bilingual

It's not as easy as it seems, here are some ways to help you get started.

128
4 Tips On Becoming Bilingual
Samantha Contreras

Ever wondered how the process of learning a new language would be like? Knowing whether you've practiced long enough to know how to speak it properly? I know how it feels starting out, there is so much to grasp in vocabulary, grammar rules, and pronunciation. It becomes quite difficult keeping up with it all when there are many other things that take away your chances of completing this goal. I am currently studying three languages, while one of them I am currently learning on my own. Here are some ways to help you when studying another language:

1. Make a Goal

Having a reason as to why you're doing something is the best way to motivate yourself into completing a task. Know why you're doing it - it may sound obvious but this is the most important part. Keep your mind focused on the goal you want to accomplish, whether it'd be because your grandmother can only speak one language and you want to be able to speak it too. Maybe because you're studying abroad in another country you've always wanted to go to, or the career field you work in requires a specific language to know. Every factor is different and this will highlight the reason you want to learn in the first place.

2. Mistakes Will Be Made

It's okay to say a word wrong, or put an accent mark in the wrong place. All of these mistakes will definitely help you to improve. Always ask someone if what you said or wrote is correct. Don't be afraid to find out if something is wrong. For me, I've had moments where I was to nervous to even ask a professor or person if what I'm saying is right. Below are some simple notes I wrote in high school of the two languages I'd try to correspond to further enhance my skill in both at the same time.

3. Write, Translate, Comprehend

Write anything you see, hear, or speak down on a notebook ever so often. Doing this alone will help you understand certain words and where to use them in a sentence. Whether it'd be slang, phrases, or simple pronouns. Eventually, I've noticed a rapid improvement in my word choices when speaking to people.

4. Have Fun

Learning a new language has got to be one of them most self-rewarding and satisfying learning experiences. You become more in touch with how you acknowledge other cultures and people. You understand many things a lot easier, that includes, music, books, art, movies and television shows (no more subtitles).

I've been doing this for almost 8 years now and I am happy to say that I'm able to speak, read, and write in all 3 languages better than I did when I first started. Not only is it a challenge but it is a very useful and fun way to learn.