Tips on How to Wear a Winter Suit for Men

Winter Suit for Men

13

...

Keeping your look on point when the temperature dips requires an extra degree of preparation. You can’t just throw on any old suit and expect to maintain a fashionable appearance for the rest of winter. There are a few details you’ll need to consider before donning that woolen jacket or tweed vest again. In this article, we will focus on how you can get the most out of your winter suit, whatever the occasion. Mens suit stores are a great place to find stylish and well-made tweed and herringbone coats. Here are some tips on how you can wear a winter suit with confidence this season:…

Know your options

You can probably tell that we’re big fans of wool when it comes to winter suits, but there are a host of other fabrics to consider as well. Cashmere is a luxurious fabric that’s almost as warm as wool, although it does tend to be a lot more expensive. If you want to splash out, you can’t go wrong with a high-end cashmere suit. If you're looking for an affordable mens suit, herringbone or tweed fabrics are a great choice. They're not as warm as wool, but they'll still keep you plenty warm without being too hot indoors. If you work in an extremely cold environment, you may want to consider synthetic fabrics. These are usually made with Nylon and are highly water-resistant.

Choose the right fabric

When it comes to selecting the fabric for your mens tuxedo, you first need to assess your suit’s intended use. If you’re going to be wearing your tuxedo to the office during winter, you’ll want a fabric that keeps you warm but isn’t too heavy. A wool or cashmere suit is a great choice for the winter months, but it may be a little too warm for an office environment. There are a couple of things you can do to make your heavier wool suit more suitable for the office. First, you can opt for a lighter shade of wool. A more neutral grey or charcoal wool will be lighter than a traditional navy blue or black suit. Second, you can choose textured wool that has some pattern to it. The texture will add some visual interest to the suit while still offering you the warmth of thicker wool fabric.

Keep it dark and neutral

One of the biggest mistakes men make when wearing a winter suit is trying to stand out. You’ll often see men in bold check patterns and bright colors that just don’t feel right during the winter months. A mens sports jacket is a great way to add a little bit of personality to your outfit without going overboard. Blame it on the Christmas-y feeling we all get inside when the first snow begins to fall. You might feel like you want to make a bold fashion statement, but the cold weather doesn’t make this easy. Your best bet is to head towards the darker sides of the spectrum. You can still wear patterns and checks during winter, but keep them as subtle as possible. A dark grey herringbone or navy blue tweed will go with just about anything, keeping you warm while also helping you blend in with your surroundings.

Get the fit right

It’s important to make sure your jacket or coat fits you well. It’s even more crucial in the winter months because you’ll likely have to layer up underneath your suit. Make sure your jacket or coat is neither too tight nor too loose. The seams should sit flush against your body, without any bagging or pulling. Your pants should fit similarly well. There shouldn’t be any excess fabric around your legs or waist, but there shouldn’t be any pulling either. A little bit of break in the leg is ideal, which allows for a little bit of extra room in the shoe. The break should stop just above your ankle. Make sure your pants are hemmed properly so they don’t bunch or drag on the ground.

Decide on your footwear

First, make sure your shoes fit properly. You are having shoes that are too tight will make it very uncomfortable to walk around in them for a prolonged time. If you’re going for a more formal look, try a pair of lace-up Oxfords. Oxfords are great for the winter months because you can wear heavier socks underneath your Oxfords to keep your feet nice and warm. If you want to go for a more casual look or have a job where you’re likely to get a lot of snow or water on your shoes, a pair of Chelsea boots are great. Chelsea boots are mid-height boots that will keep your feet warm without making you look too stuffy.

Don’t forget the accessories

Remember that your suit is only one part of your outfit. Don’t let your suit’s warmth overshadow the rest of your clothing. You can still use warmth-boosting accessories to keep your hands, ears, and head warm during the winter months. A warm scarf can add a pop of color to your outfit and help keep you warm in the process. Scarves are usually best when they are long enough to wrap around your neck a couple of times and even up to your chin if need be. A warm hat will also keep your ears nice and toasty. Be careful though, many hats made from wool or other thick fabrics can cause your ears to sweat and itch if worn for too long. Finally, you may want to consider a pair of gloves or mittens for your hands. A pair of gloves will keep your hands warm and allow you to use your phone or do other things that require your hands. Gloves are more useful if you’re only wearing your suit indoors.

Conclusion

If you follow these tips, you can be sure you’re using your winter suit to its full potential. With suitable fabrics, colors, and layering, you can protect yourself from the cold while still looking stylish. Don’t forget that the suit you wear during the winter months is also a great piece to wear during spring and fall as well.