Tips for Writing a Paper

Tips for Writing a Paper

It's paper season! Here are some things that will help you get started.

13
Tips for Writing a Paper
campus bound

It’s almost the end of the semester and you’re stressed out- every one at this point. At this point in the year, there are a lot of papers and projects assigned and their due dates are quickly approaching. So, if you’re stuck on a paper or project, here are some tips that will help you get it done on time.

1. Know your instructions - Make sure you read the assignment and fully understand it before you begin. If you don’t know what’s expected of you, there’s no way you’ll be able to do well. And if you have any questions or are confused, make sure to reach out to your professor, even if you are doing this the day before it’s due. They would rather you ask them the day before than not turn it in at all.

2. Don’t allow yourself distractions! - This is so important, because sometimes we do this without even realizing it. If you’re around friends or roommates, either put in headphones or go somewhere else. Just your friends being there can be a distraction sometimes. Don’t let yourself use technology unless it’s for your paper, because if you don’t you could sit down to do your paper and then a half hour later realize that all you’ve done so far is scroll through Facebook.

3. Have a drink and a snack with you when you start - If you do this, you won’t have any excuses to get up and get anything. Also, sometimes eating can help you work, because if you’re hungry you won’t be able to focus.

4. If you have to do a paper along with another aspect of the project, like power point, try doing them together. Most likely, the information that you are putting into your paper will be the same as what is on your power point, and your professor knows that. So don’t struggle to find new things for either of them, just elaborate more in the paper than on the power point. Doing them at the same time, going from section of your power point to the same topic in your paper, could help it go quicker.

5. Allow yourself breaks. If you’re in a crunch for time, you won’t feel like this is a good idea, but it could help you a lot, especially if you feel like you aren’t making any progress. Taking a 5 minute break to do something calming to you, like talking to a friend, or doodling, or even taking a nap, will help your brain get going again and maybe get you some new ideas.

6. Make sure you are aware of all of your resources. On top of your professor and classmates, make sure you know if there are other things that can help you out with this paper. If it is based off of a reading, make sure you have it with you so you can use it in your paper. If it’s a research paper, the internet is your best friend! Use Google Scholar to find scholarly articles that can help you in your paper. Make sure you know what all your resources are and are using them to your advantage.

7. If you’re really struggling to meet the word count or page requirement for a paper, stop worrying about it! If you are focusing on how much you’re writing, you aren’t focusing on what it actually says. Just write! Do your best, and add as much detail as you can. But, if it’s a good paper, you professor most likely won’t be upset if it’s a page or two short. A paper that is A+ material but a few pages short will probably get a better grade than a paper with C- potential that hits the page requirement.

Good luck, and happy writing!