For Those Struggling To Choose a Major...

These Tips Will Help You In Choosing Your Career Path

464
sites.jmu.edu

When it comes to college the most important decision you will ever make is deciding your major. This will influence what kind of classes you take, and ultimately, what kind of job you will hold for the majority of your life. For some people this can be a no-brainer. They might have set their mind to it since high school. For others, it is something that is contemplated every day. Whether it is not being able to choose from a couple of choices, or having absolutely no idea what you want to pursue a career in. either way it is ok. Around half of college students change their major at least once. It’s a tough decision, but there are ways to make the process easier. Here are some tips for those who are having trouble determining a major or career path.

Explore Your Interests

Look at a list of programs or majors and just cross out those that are an absolute no, circle the ones that are a yes, and put a question mark by some that spark interests but you would want to know about. This way you can narrow down your options. When doing this think about different careers within the program that way you know what options are available. Also, think about what you want in a job. Do you want to make money? Do you want to help people? These are the kinds of questions to consider when narrowing your options.

Take Introductory Courses

Whether you’re sure you would like a particular major or not, take an introductory course to give you an overall insight to the information you would spend the next couple of years mastering your knowledge on. Some majors might not seem what you thought, or on the other hand the ones you didn’t know a lot about might become more of an interest.

Ask Professors or Advisors for Information

Most professional staff would be more than happy to give you more knowledge about a major. They can tell you almost anything you need to know. Some good questions to ask would include: What can I do with this degree? How is the job market? What kind of classes would I take? They want to help you as much as they can in helping you see what you can expect. Maybe they even were in your boat once.

Follow What You Feel Passionate About

Ultimately, find a career in which you know you would be happy every day. Then you technically wouldn’t be working. Just remember your strengths and values. It might seem like a difficult journey at first, but once you reach the top, you’re going to be glad that you did. As someone who struggled to determine a major for a while I can testify that I am glad I followed my dream. Now I am pursuing a degree in what I love and I am glad I explored my options.