Unconventional Spring Cleaning Tips

Unconventional Spring Cleaning Tips

Spring cleaning methods that are beneficial to your mental health for the new season.

20

Spring is in the air, and with spring comes a new beginning: flowers are blossoming, and so are a lot of changes in our lives. For some of us, spring means the beginning of graduation season, for some of us, it's the beginning of our favorite, warmer time of year (springtime in Oklahoma is without a doubt the BEST season), and for some of us, it can mean we're revisiting New Year's Resolutions and trying to better ourselves. If you fall into the latter category, I have good news: this article is for you. Here are some tips on "spring cleaning" your life, so you can move on into the summer as the best, unbothered version of yourself.

If you haven't already: block the toxic influences in your life.

This can be applicable to a lot of different people who may be in your life. Can't stop stalking your ex? Always comparing yourself to that one girl who always made you feel like crap in high school? Annoyed by your kind-of-but-not-really friend's constant posting and complaining online? Block them! By removing toxic exes and toxic people from your life, you're making space for new, amazing people to show up in your life, and blocking the old ones, you're taking that first step.

Take up a new, mindful hobby.

I'm not trying to tell you that you have to meditate or write in a journal or anything like that, but actually, that's exactly what I'm telling you. If meditation's a little too zen for you, try journaling daily! Especially during the busiest times of our lives, it's always important to find a moment and reconnect with your emotions. It keeps you grounded, and you'll find that it helps you to manage stress much more efficiently because you're more mindful of how your mind is working.

Start exercising.

This one's pretty straightforward: exercise leads to endorphins, endorphins lead to increased happiness. Exercise for YOURSELF, though, not to look "better" or impress anyone. It doesn't matter if you lose weight or look skinnier, what matters here is that overall, you'll feel happier and healthier.

Stop procrastinating.

Easier said than done, I know. However, once you break the procrastination habit you may find you've created for yourself, you'll find that sitting down to do work becomes more of a breeze and you can spend your free time worry-free about all of the work you have to get done. I recommend downloading a focus app on your phone; I use one called Flora, and honestly, it's been a game changer.

Declutter.

Last but not least: Marie Kondo the crap out of your room/house/apartment. Cluttered spaces mean a cluttered mind, and the goal of spring cleaning is to declutter your space. This includes your mind space, too. Throw out old stuff you don't need, and metaphorically, try to throw out old, detrimental thought patterns that have no place there anymore. You'll find that you'll have so much space, both literally and figuratively, to allow positivity to enter your life. Happy cleaning!