Tips For Sorority Recruitment

Tips For Sorority Recruitment

Get ready for door chants!

105
Julia Stema

At college, fall means it's time for formal recruitment. Sorority girls everywhere have been prepping for this for the longest time. If you're going through recruitment, here's some tips from girls already in houses.

1. Don't be nervous.

The girls in the house might be just as nervous as you are. Get excited to meet new people, no matter where you end up.

2. Be yourself.

Don't try to fit a mold and be someone you're not. You want to end up with people who like you for you, not who you pretend to be.

3. Trust the recruitment process.

Recruitment guides and Rho Gammas will say it again and again but honestly, trust the process and stick it out until the end. You'll end up where you belong.

4. Don't listen to stereotypes.

More often than not, the things you might hear aren't true.

5. Make friends!

Don't forget to make friends with the girls on the lawns. You never know who might end up as your sister. Plus you'll get to make friends that end up in other houses too.

6. Be honest.

If a house asks how you're feeling about your time there, be honest because they want to make sure you have the best recruitment experience possible, regardless of where you end up.

7. Ask questions.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Recruitment is a time to ask questions at each house so you can find out where you fit. If you have other questions, you can also ask your recruitment guides. They're there to help!

8. Relax.

Try to genuinely get to know the girl you're talking to.

9. Talk.

Talk about yourself! This is the only chance you get to tell the girls about you and what makes you special and a great fit for their sorority.

10. Carry little touch up products with you.

Bring anything you might want to touch up or reapply. You can bring things such as lipstick, bobby pins, hairspray, deodorant, etc. You can leave your stuff on the lawn while you're in the houses.

11. Bring things to help you get through the day.

Bring water, snacks, extra shoes, etc. You can leave your bag on the lawn, and you'll be glad you brought things like this with you. Bring comfortable shoes for walking between houses so your feet don't hurt.

12.  Avoid certain topics.

Try not to talk about controversial topics, and avoid talking about things like drinking, drugs, partying, boys, bills, etc. They should tell you at orientation what topics to avoid.

Recruitment can be stressful at times, but it'll be worth it at the end. Stick with it, trust the process, and you'll end up in a house you love with people you fit well with. Happy recruitment season!