Tips for Your Senior Year of High School

Some tips for the high school junior before they enter their last year of high school.

82

Going into this school year, I didn't really know what to expect. Some of last year's graduating seniors said it was the easiest year they have had in high school. Others said they had never felt more stressed in their entire lives. Needless to say, I was confused at the beginning of the year. Honestly, I wish I had known these tips before entering my senior year. Although, I have followed some of them since the beginning of the year, others I had to learn the hard way. Whatever stage in life you are in, just remember there are always ways to grow and learn from your mistakes.

Attend as many school functions as you can

https://pixabay.com/users/12019-12019/

Whether it be cheering on your basketball teams at the area tournament or supporting your choir at districts, go to every event you can. This year alone I have attended far more sporting events and organization events than I have the last three years. Although it makes me super busy, I wanted to enjoy my senior year and end my high school career the right way. The memories I have made so far my senior year will stay with me the rest of my life; I will be able to confidently look back on this chapter of my life and say I ended it with some exciting events with some lovely people.

Continue to (become) involved in different activities

https://pixabay.com/users/skeeze-272447/

I'm not saying to wait until senior year to become involved in every organization, but maybe join something new. This year, I decided to audition for our school musical and ended up getting a role. The experience so far has been satisfying and been a highlight of my entire high school career. I have always enjoyed theater, but the first three years of high school, I was too scared and insecure to put myself out there. I told myself at the beginning of the year that I needed to start pushing myself because college will do it regardless of how much I don't want to.

Procrastination is a big no-no

https://www.pexels.com/@energepic-com-27411

I cannot stress this enough, but do NOT procrastinate your senior year in high school. Yes, it is supposed to be a fun year, but it isn't the easiest year of high school by any means. Between scholarship and application deadlines, I was stretched completely the first semester of my senior year. Adding on the work from my AP and Honors classes and all the events and meetings for seniors, to say I was a little stressed would be the understatement of the year. Although the first semester was stressful, I don't think any amount of preparation would have made me ready for the second semester. I am now at less than 60 days until I graduate, and my stress levels are through the roof. By not procrastinating in some areas of my life, my stress has been eased some, but I have obviously fallen behind in other areas.

Don’t forget about your family members

https://www.pexels.com/@creative-vix

With the craziness of attending events and stress from applications, don't forget to spend time with your family. I will be moving two hours away from home in less than 200 days, and then I won't be able to see my family as often as I am able to now. I have tried to spend as much time with my family as I can before I start the next chapter in my life. You may think, "Oh, I can't wait to be out of the house," because trust me I have. The truth is everyone gets a little homesick when they move away from home, but I think you can help ease some of this feeling by creating happy memories with your family before you leave the nest.

There are several things I wish I had known before entering my senior year of high school, but these are the main four tips I wish I had known. Senior year is an exciting year, and in my experience, a year where I grew more than I thought possible. I figured my mind and views would grow and shape until I left for college but boy, was I wrong.