Tips For First Time College Students

Tips For First Time College Students

For those who want some tips before they start college or for those who need some guidance after they start college

88
Tips For First Time College Students
Moberly Area Community College

12 Tips to Help You Get Through Your First Year of College

It's getting to be that time again where high school seniors graduate and become college freshmen. Where did the time go?

College is a big step for a lot of people and some aren't sure how to handle it. It can be extremely stressful. I remember feeling completely overwhelmed when I first moved into my dorm room. So, to maybe help you out, here's twelve ways that can help you get through your first year of college.

1. Go out and make friends.

Do not keep yourself isolated. It will make things so much harder for you and there's probably someone at your school who could use a friend. Who knows? This could be when you meet a life-long friend.

2. Familiarize yourself with the campus.

The last thing you want to have to worry about is not getting to your class on time because you don't know where you're going. Don't be afraid to walk around when you're not in class. No one is going to stop you. And if you're in a hurry, stop someone and ask them where you need to go. Nine times out of ten, they'll tell you.

3. Organization.

I cannot stress how important organization is in college. Make it a habit to put everything from one class in one specific folder. If color coding helps you like it helps me, use a different colored folder/binder for every class. Always knows where your assignments are.

4. Keep your dorm clean.

This goes along with organization. Don't be like me and have your dorm room be a mess. Not only will your roommate by upset with you for it, but people aren't going to want to be in your room.

5. Study.

I know that not many people like to study, but it's necessary. You have to study for tests, quizzes, etc. You will do so much better if you do study than if you don't. And find out what kind of study strategy works best for you. Do you work well in groups or prefer to study alone?

6. Set a sleep schedule.

I know how hard it is to go to sleep at a decent hour when you're in college, especially if you're dorming. People are having fun, hanging out, but going to sleep at 3am and then having an 8am class is not fun. Set a time for yourself when you have to go to sleep so you can get a decent night's rest. You may think you can handle it, but the lack of sleep will catch up with you.

7. Set a homework schedule.

Along with a setting a sleep schedule, you have to make sure you set aside enough time to do your homework. Most professors do not allow you to turn in homework late and those who do often take off a lot of points for it. It's not worth the stress, just do your homework on time.

8. Join a club.

If you're having trouble making friends, join a club. Automatically, you have a group of people who have something in common with you. This also applies to sports teams.

9. Don't be afraid to talk to your RA.

If there's an issue with your roommate or with someone else who lives in your building, talk to your RA about it. He or she will mediate the situation and get it resolved. Also, if you need to talk to someone, but you don't want to talk to a professor, talk to your RA. Most of the times, they will sit down with you and help you get through what's bothering you.

10. If you need a tutor, get one.

Oftentimes, someone on your campus will be a tutor. So, if you're having trouble in one of your classes, find someone who can help you. That's what they're there for.

11. Stay in contact with your parents.

If you're like me, then you tell someone in your family everything. Whether it be your mom, dad, sister, or third cousin twice removed, make sure you stay in contact with that person. Don't let other things get in the way. I told my mom everything, good or bad, and it always made my day when I got to talk to her.

12. Set aside a little time for you to relax.

Make sure there's a little time everyday for you to de-stress yourself. Listen to music, read a book, or go hang out with your friends. Just as it's important for you to do your homework and study, it's important for you to make sure you don't get too overwhelmed.

I say all of this from personal experience. Please consider what I've said because these tips will help. I hope you have a great college experience!