​5 'Don'ts' For Curbing Depression

No, Misery, I Don’t Want Your Company: ​5 'Don'ts' For Curbing Depression

Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

97
"If you don't think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days." – Kris Carr

Depression is a long, mind-numbing and recurring phase of life — a temporary distraction from our true path. However, it's important to accept whatever you feel because it'll teach you a great deal about yourself.

Here are some highly useful tips that could help you kick depression to the curb.

Don't listen to depressing songs.

unsplash.com

I know it's super tempting, and sometimes it does ease the pain (of course it does, music speaks to your soul).

Your favorite artist suddenly turns into your best friend as they sing, "Nothing heals a broken heart like time, love and tenderness..." — Michael Bolton. Been there, done that.

Depressing music may silence those annoying voices, but for how long? Listening to the same depressing song again and again builds on the pain. I didn't know that myself, not until I started crying uncontrollably.

Don't pick a fight with someone just because you're angry.

unsplash.com

I did this. In fact, I did it with a couple of people.

You can't help yourself, and you rage against people who genuinely care about your wellbeing. If you need their support, let them in. If you don't feel like talking about it, communicate that with them and stay strong. Don't allow yourself to blow up over a momentary feeling.

Some people will understand and give you the space you need, but others will take your finger-pointing and rebuking personally. And later, you'll feel extremely regretful.

Don't look at media that reminds you of your pain.

unsplash.com

This one is also very tempting. Your brain tries to convince you that it'll provide you with answers or some sort of closure, but your heart can't take it. Your heart is already aching. Be a fighter and push back.

Don't dwell on what put you here in the first place. I'm not saying you should delete/bury/burn those memories, but you're not emotionally OK right now. Give yourself plenty of time and space before you dive back into those memories.

Don't go on social media.

unsplash.com

You tell yourself it won't hurt to look, but really, it does.

Everybody flaunts their best, most beautiful and happiest memories on Facebook and Instagram — and right now, you're suffering a great deal of emotional, physical and mental pain.

That's the last thing you need to see — people you know and care about who aren't in any sort of pain, enjoying all of life's blessings — while you slowly succumb to hell's misery.

Don't confine yourself.

unsplash.com

Being alone and confined is lethal. It's very unhealthy (whether you're depressed or not). I understand it can be annoying when a semi-circle of close friends are sitting in front of you, badgering you with the same series of questions: "Are you OK? What happened? Why are you crying?"

However, when you hit rock bottom, it's nice to look around and know there are people beside you who are more than willing to help you heal. When you isolate yourself, you're giving your mind the power to spiral out of control. Don't let depression kick YOU to the curb.

Don't be alone, but also, don't surround yourself with the wrong people.

If those voices keep persisting, read this and embrace your self-worth.