Tips For Beating Sickness In College

Tips For Beating Sickness In College

Give Sickness the Boot With These Cold Squashing Hacks

20
Tips For Beating Sickness In College
Uloop.com

So you’re sick and in college, maybe living on your own for the first time, or mom’s chicken noodle soup just isn’t doing the trick. Follow these tips and tricks and put some pep back in your step.

Stay well hydrated.

Drinking lots of water helps keep your immune system happy and helps get rid of your sickness quicker! If you allow your body to become dehydrated, your immune system basically invites the illness to camp out for even longer. Drink soothing hot tea, lots of water, and juice. You can also eat water-rich fruits and veggies to spice things up a bit too!

Stick to the B.R.A.T. diet.

When you’re sick, Taco Bell and dining-hall cheese fries won’t necessarily settle your stomach as it usually would.

B is for bananas. Bananas are high in antioxidants, easily accessible, and are nutrient-rich. Bananas are easy to digest and can be very filling. R is for rice. Rice is easy to digest, and high in carbohydrates so it’ll keep you feeling full and able to operate without making you feel nauseous. A is for applesauce. Applesauce is not only easy to eat, but it is easy to digest and comes in a variety of flavors. T is for toast. You can eat toast with butter, avocado, peanut butter, and even jelly. Toast is simple, versatile, and filling.

The B.R.A.T. diet can get boring, but sticking to it will only help you feel better and keep the necessary nutrients in your body to help combat illness.

Invest in a heating pad, or hot water bottle.

Being sick when it’s cold in your residence hall is the absolute worst. However, while most dorms don't allow space heaters, a small heating pad or a hot water bottle will do the trick when trying to stay warm. Turn the heating pad on, or heat up the water for the bottle, and cuddle up in bed. You’ll stay warm and even sweat out that fever that’s getting you down. The heat will also help soothe any achy muscles from the sickness.

Take a long, hot, steamy (not sexy) shower.

Taking hot showers will help relax your muscles. If your nose is stuffy or you have chest congestion, breathing in the steam from the shower will help loosen mucus and allow it to be expelled from your body easier. This will also help you feel cleaner and better, and nothing feels better than slipping into comfy pj's and heading to bed after a relaxing shower.

Get plenty of rest.

When you’re sick, your body uses a lot of its energy to fight the illness. This use of energy ends up making you feel run-down and just yucky. Getting lots of sleep will help you feel better, and will also help your body recharge and continue fighting the illness.

Drink hot tea.

Not only is sipping on tea a tasty way to hydrate, but it can bring some calming relief to a scratchy throat. The heat also relaxes the body and helps you feel better in an almost therapeutic manner.

Get your dosage of vitamins and minerals. (Specifically Zinc and Vitamin-C)

I was in a constant state of sickness throughout the first month and a half of school. I thought I just needed to get used to the new environment, but once I (finally) listened to my doctor and started taking daily vitamins, vitamin-C, and zinc, I felt like a million bucks! I felt so much better and with the combination of staying hydrated and eating better, I was 100% myself again. It’s also a wonder what they do for your hair and nails too, so taking vitamins doesn’t just keep you from getting sick.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

If these tricks aren’t helping you, and you really do feel like garbage, go see your doctor and seek proper treatment. I hope these tips help you feel a bit better and that you keep them in mind when you do feel icky.

Stay healthy my friends! <3