7 Tips And Tricks To Thrive At Freshman Orientation

As told by Disney

16

School is wrapping up and everyone is graduating. You put on that cap and gown and have mixed feelings, like wanting to get out of here but also not wanting to leave. By this time, you should know where you're going to school, or you have a few choices narrowed down. You are ready for orientation! Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the most of it.

1. Ask questions

I know it is not "cool" to ask questions, but this is the time to do it. In no other place are you going to have all of this information readily available. The Orientation Leaders have trained for weeks, possibly months, just to have the information in their brains. Also, if you have a question, someone else most likely has the same question.

2. Come in with an open mind and positive vibes

College is a big transition for everyone. It is also very different from what you have ever known. You have to come in with an open mind, otherwise it might be a very stressful experience. The moment you come in with an open mind is the moment that you open yourself to new experiences, people and ideas. Also, everything is cool at college.

3. Get plenty of sleep

Get a good night's sleep before you go to orientation and while at orientation, if you have an overnight session. They will be throwing a lot of information at you and the only way you will be able to retain any of it is if you are well rested. But, don't forget to have fun as well.

4. Pay attention

Even though these sessions may be boring and long, they are very helpful. If you need to pull at your arm hair to keep awake, do it. I definitely did not pay attention at my sessions and now I am learning about all of the opportunities that I could've had. I wish I would have paid attention so I could have taken advantage of those opportunities.

5. Don't stress

This can be a very stressful time for everyone. That is why so many people are here to help you. We have trained for a while on how to reduce the stress so you can bask in the awesomeness of new things.

6. Treasure the connections

You will meet so many people at orientation and it will be amazing. Keep those connections because once school starts you will probably have classes with those people and they may become your best friend!

7. Have fun!

Orientation is not only a time to register for classes and get a bunch of information, but also to have fun with all of your classmates. Take advantage of all of the social media contests or activities they have throughout your session. If you have dances, dodge ball, or other fun activities at your session, do them. They are a great way to relieve some stress and meet new people.

Good luck, and welcome to college!