It's Time To Take A Break

It's Time To Take A Break

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes... including you.

243
It's Time To Take A Break
pixabay

The lives of college students (especially at GW) revolve around meticulously planned schedules, deadlines to reach, and another place to be. As I'm sitting here, I've got a deadline to hit and another thing on my list to do in the back of my mind.

Being busy has become something of prestige in our society- whoever can accomplish the most in the least amount of time and has a full schedule is someone to aspire to be. Planners and coffee mugs proudly display the caption "I'm so busy!", as if taking a breather is a bad thing.

Many of us have gotten to a point where we don't know how to take a break. This past Christmas break I sewed a quilt by hand. While being sick. Why couldn't I just enjoy my break?

Summers in college need to be filled with an internship, job, or some kind of activity contributing to the professional growth and future aspirations we all have. What about mental health, though?

There is something to be said for being a go-getter. Doing something proactively isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, everyone needs to take a break!

Let me repeat that: everyone needs a break.

With the rise of mental health issues affecting younger individuals in American society, it is clear that the pressures such as college, finding a job and the stress of doing so while managing complex relationships (often exacerbated by social media), is not healthy.

The pressure of excelling in every facet of life is often overwhelming, and societal expectations of where an individual should be at a certain point in life can create unrealistic demands.

I am a firm believer that at some point in their life, everyone gets in a little too far over their head. Whether it be a relationship, a self-imposed expectation, or attempts to reach the demands of others, everyone reaches a breaking point.

I think it is safe to say that whether we realize it or not, everyone has struggled with mental health. Some to more degrees than others, but I do think everyone has had challenges of some sort.

As I've gotten older, the importance of dealing with these problems and understanding that not everything can be pushed aside has become more and more evident to me. We all deal with things that are hard... and dealing with them alone is not a healthy way to cope.

Whether it be talking to someone or physically removing yourself from your surroundings for a bit, it is so important to recover (take breaks).

Not taking the internship because you need a break is OK. Everyone's path is different. Your chapter 1 cannot be compared to someone else's chapter 10.

As we move forward as a society with increasing expectations for children and professionals, this is something that needs to be considered and taught.

Quality work and the health of those we care about (most importantly) cannot be in their prime without taking time to breathe.

So we've all got deadlines and schedules we've got to follow. I get it. But a break isn't a bad thing every once in a while.