Spread Body Positivity, Stop Comparing Yourself On Social Media

It's time to spread body positivity! It's okay to embrace your imperfections!

34
Meghan Horrell

Living in the twenty first century comes with constant reminders of how, and what you're supposed to look like. The "perfect" body is constanly thrown in all of our faces, and makes both men and women feel as though their image is not enough. Both males, and females feel the constant need to either gain or lose weight to meet what our media tells us to look like; this image may inspire some to be healthy, but can have extreme effects on others. As a young college student I constantly find myself comparing my image to anothers perfectly toned body, and know that I am not the only one. I see tweets, and status on all social media from both men and women hating their bodies, and wanting that "perfect" body. I like to consider myself as a confident individual, but even the most confident people have their down days.

With the intense projections of what the "perfect" body should look like comes backlash from those who feel offended by stereotyping what that body should be. I've personally read posts that the perfect body should be thin, and others that the perfect body should be heavier with curves. In my opinion I think that both of these postings are incorrect, and that the perfect body is whatever you are comfortable in. I am so sick and tired of looking online and seeing beautiful men, and women unhappy with their appearance simply because they do not look like super models, or body builders. The perfect body is one where YOU ARE HAPPY AND HEALTHY IN YOUR OWN SKIN, it's not one that you've created to make the person you like fall "in love" with you, and its one that you are more than proud of. I personally think that the promotion of body posivity, and how to become happy in your own skin is how you obtain a perfect body, and a healthy mind.

As someone who is no where near the "perfect" body I am more than proud of my self-image because I know that I am so much more than a curvy woman. Your body is so much more than skin and bones, curves, cellulite, rolls, or any other "flaw" you may believe to have. Your mind is apart of your body, your personality, and the most beautiful qualities come within those aspects. If you are someone who is struggling with your self-image I suggest focusing more on who you are than what you're not, because changes are you are loved, and are more beautiful than you could ever imagine.