Making Time For Others

To My Fellow 20-Somethings, If You Really Care About The People In Your Life, You Would ACTUALLY Make Time

Start now, don't wait.

22

When you are in your early 20s, you tend to prioritize career advancement, networking, partitioning money for marriage or your first apartment. Whatever you are doing at this age is towards the goal of having a good future. I am at that age now, always hustling and on the go.

Apart from those, I am trying my hardest to write more.

The adrenaline rush when you get things done, the feeling of not wanting to settle and the hunger to do even more. I believe most young adults can relate to that feeling.

It's normal to be ambitious in your early 20s.

The reason why?

We are worried that we may not have the same level of spontaneity and energy to do so in the future. We would rather face failure now than to regret not giving it a shot. I mean, what's there to lose besides time and energy, which we have the luxury of for now?

Is this what being ambitious is all about?

I don't know. I really don't know.

All I know is that I hardly have time for my loved ones these days. At times, I am even worried about the fact that my loved ones will eventually give up and leave out the door. And there I was, hustling in my little bubble and shutting the whole world off.

As we age, our priorities change, and some even take a backseat. It's part of growing up and acknowledging what really matters. When you decide to use your Wednesday night to prepare for the following day's meeting instead of hitting the clubs, you are doing what should be done at that point in time.

You know what should be done.

Don't get me wrong, there is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to go out and enjoy with your peers. (This is a priority too!) However, when there is work to be done, it's also time for you take accountability. Pride yourself on finishing your assigned task at hand before allowing other priorities to take over.

If you feel that your friends and family are important, make them a priority and prove it to them. One mistake committed by most people, including myself, is using the lack of time as an excuse. The tasks at hand may be static, but your schedule isn't. It's time to let your loved ones take a slot because starting now is still never too late.

Spending time with your loved ones should not be an obligation or assignment that you dread doing. If you feel that way, it's time to explore the reasons behind it.

If you truly care, you compromise and make time for the people who matter the most. Always bear that in mind.