Find Time To Tell The Ones You Love How You Feel

Remember the people who got you here.

120

I started doing this thing recently where I would text my friends from different stages of life during an event wishing them the best or telling them how much I care about them. Some of these friends I had not seen in years and others I had not been close with for a certain time. So why do I do this? I could move on with my life with the friends I have right now and leave the ones from the past in the past but I realize without them I wouldn't be here. I know you are not going to keep all of your friends but taking one second out of the day to tell them how much you miss them or if you can find a time to catch up with them will bring a smile to your face.

On Saturday, one of my best friends from my summer camp texted me saying he was coming to Alabama and when he got here we spent time catching up and having a fun time with new and old friends. This stuck out to me because no matter how long I went without talking to my friends I always knew they were a phone call away. They supported me through all the ups and downs and were there to tell me how much they love me. It made me think about how we need to tell the ones close to us how they make us feel when we have an opportunity.

One of my biggest regrets in life was never saying goodbye to my great grandmother before she passed away. I remember visiting her and how each year we would celebrate her birthday with the rest of the nursing home. While she didn't know who we were she knew we were her family and that we were all connected. I always remember hugging and kissing her goodbye and saying "I love you Granny, I'll see you later." I knew that one day I would have to say that for the last time but I did not know when. My great grandmother got to live a long life and had the opportunity to see grandchildren, great-grandchildren and hear stories about the birth of her first great-grandson. While I know I can continue to beat myself up for not having a chance to say goodbye I can also think about the times I did get to spend with her and how happy we made her.

We sometimes take for granted opportunities to say how much we love someone or how they impact us. There are people placed in our lives for a reason and they do so much for us when we need it. I have noticed I have become the person who will always send my friends a sign of encouragement or randomly tell them how much I love them. My friends have become my support system in college and are the main reason I have been able to grow and flourish.

I used to take for granted opportunities to tell people of their importance. Everyone I know or have met have found a way to impact my life and I want them to know how they have helped me succeed. Some people forget their roots or how they got to their current situation but I will always remember where I came from and how I got here. It has taken me years to realize that I can tell my parents almost anything. They have told me how they will always be proud of me and there is nobody who will be a bigger fan than my mom and dad.

So the next time you think about someone from your past and how it might have been a long time since you talked to them give them a call. Telling someone how much you miss them will not only make their day but it will put a smile on your face. At the end of the day being told you are loved will make you forget all the negativity.