That Time In Kansas

That Time In Kansas

Never going there again

22
That Time In Kansas
Kansas Cyclist

Kansas. Mmm not my favorite place on the planet for many reasons, but I remember one certain instance that occurred, though at the time wasn’t ideal, it is funny to look back on it and laugh a little bit. Not too long ago my wife and I were newlyweds; this is important information and you’ll soon see why.

As newlyweds we took a trip to Colorado to visit and such, and on the way home we got lost in Kansas of all places. We were rookies and should have stayed on I-80 East-- I know, I know. But like I said at the time we were bright eyed rookies who just blindly followed the GPS. So there we were, slowly driving through Kansas through one random scary and shady town after another when it happens.

I expected it would happen sooner or later, but we got pulled over by a local police officer. I smiled and thought “Here we go.” I usually don’t mind getting pulled over; in some cases I end up becoming friends with the officers. So as I am smiling, my new bride is slowly starting to freak out and get upset; she isn’t used to getting pulled over like I am haha.

As the police officer walked up and asked for my license and registration, I let him know right away that it was a rental and that we were on our way home to Michigan. He went to his car and then came back within about ten minutes or so. When he returned he looked at me and then my wife, and asked for her license too. He then said, “So this is a rental, you guys are coming from Colorado and you two say you are married?” We both replied yes. The look of puzzlement crossed his face. I then replied with, “My wife hasn’t changed her last name yet on her license, we really are married officer.” He said he believed us, and asked if he could check the trunk of the car. I said sure. I didn’t mind because I had nothing to hide. My wife got upset, and I told her well look at the situation-- we are in the middle of nowhere and this guy comes across a black guy, a white girl with different last names who claim they are married and on top of that they are in a rental car coming from Colorado; I understand his skepticism.

He then said he didn’t need to check the trunk after he checked our records and what not, he then apologized for the inconvenience and told us that due to Colorado having pot legal they get a lot of pot-runners from that state. I said no problem, and then we were on our way. Needless to say we have never been back to Kansas again and don’t plan on it either. Though my wife looks back on it and may still get a little heated, she eventually starts to laugh about it.

That was the time we got lost in Nowhere, Kansas.