The Liberation of Tim Perdoch: An Artistic Revival

How the rising musician overcame depression through his music

172
Robert Spring

In a cramped New York City apartment, Tim Perdoch sits cross-legged on a twin sized bed. His face radiates a blue glow from lights strewn across the walls and he’s wearing his signature outfit: striped tee, dark-wash jeans, blue hoodie. The look is simple but effective, much like Perdoch himself.

Born and raised in Queens, New York, Perdoch began writing lyrics as a little kid, before he even picked up an instrument. He received his first bass guitar on his 13th birthday as a present from his father. Perdoch started taking bass lessons and soon enough, he was writing songs.

At age 14, Perdoch began to pursue a serious career in music by starting his first legitimate band. The group practiced their pop-punk songs in a garage. Music provided the perfect escape from high school, where Perdoch found it hard to stand out and felt isolated by peers. By his sophomore year, he was caught in a battle with severe depression and anxiety. Perdoch considers this his darkest time, due to problems in school and with a friend. “I struggled with emotional abuse from a good friend of mine at the time,” Perdoch recalls. “Music was an outlet and cathartic. It was somewhere where I felt like I fit in.”

Five bands, four albums, and two east coast tours later, Perdoch takes the creative lead in his first solo project, Tim Perdoch & The Conscious Effort. However, the road wasn’t easy. Before taking on this project, Perdoch was still struggling with depression and personal issues. His longtime band, Your House, had just broken up due to conflicts between the members. “I felt like I lost a lot of my friends and I didn’t have a sense of artistic direction anymore.” says Perdoch. At a musical crossroads, Perdoch realized that he wanted to try something new. This time, he wasn’t going to let anyone, including himself, hold him back.

Perdoch began writing completely new music in a different genre. Described as “a blend of pop, rock, and hip-hop”, Tim Perdoch & The Conscious Effort is his proudest achievement thus far. “This music is a natural mix of all my influences and that’s what I really wanted to do for years and I was so afraid to do it.” he confessed. Taking the leap, Perdoch began recording with Zin Records in Long Island, New York. The work paid off and the debut EP “Face to Face” was released in June.

In finding this new sound, Perdoch also found the person he wants to be. “It [Tim Perdoch & The Conscious Effort] was liberating and definitely made me a happier, more confident person.” he says emphatically. Creating this music helped Perdoch overcome a transitional and emotionally challenging part of his life. He hopes that listeners will be able to do the same in their own lives with help from the songs on the album. “I want people to know they’re not alone in their internal struggles and that every day is a battle,” Perdoch said. “Don’t be afraid to start anew. It’s never too late to reinvent yourself.”

The debut EP "Face To Face" is available for download on iTunes, Google Music, and Amazon, and free streaming on Spotify, Apple Music, Soundcloud, YouTube, and Tidal.