Ah, yes, the unpaid internship. AKA the job that pretty much every college student has had at least once. At first, you were just happy that you landed any internship at all. SCORE! The money was definitely a secondary thought. But now, it's definitely taking a little bit of a toll.
The price of practically everything in the entire world has suddenly skyrocketed to new heights. You question daily whether or not free labor like this should be legal. But all the while, you're trying to appreciate the opportunity you have and reminding yourself that this will open doors in the future. Quite the emotional rollercoaster, if I do say so myself.
1. "If I woke up every morning knowing I was going to get paid, getting out of bed would be easier."
I almost want a real job...
2. "If I got paid, I wouldn't feel bad about purchasing this $4 coffee every day. But alas."
We meet again, Starbucks. Lower your prices. I want coconut milk not a bar of gold.
3. "Everyone's making weekend plans. AGAIN? Didn't we do this last weekend?"
Seriously I can't afford it.
4. "No, I really shouldn't go out for lunch today."
No, seriously, I can't afford it.
5. "Well, okay, maybe just this once. I've been working so hard!"
A little pat on the back never hurt anyone.
6. "Someone just asked me to fix a problem that I don't get paid enough to fix."
Aaaaaaand I'm gonna have to do it anyway.
7. "Oh, that's right! I don't get paid at ALL!"
Seriously, RIP my bank account.
8. "Okay, let's put this all into perspective."
Suffer now, reap the benefits later. Learn here, apply the skills to a real job in the future.
9. "Wow, this has really been an emotional rollercoaster and it's not even 3 PM."
I can't wait to sleep tonight.
10. "And we're doing this all again tomorrow?"
Welcome to the rest of your life.