Thoughts On The Communist Manifesto

Thoughts On The Communist Manifesto

What is relevant and interesting about the Communist Manifesto

718
Thoughts On The Communist Manifesto
pixabay.com

Recently I've embarked on a project to explain the connections between moral relativism, and Marxism to postmodernism for a research paper of mine. While conducting research I had a chance to read the "Manifesto of the Communist Party", which I found both interesting and insightful to understand today's postmodern conundrum.

The short essay kicks off with a bold, yet interesting claim, that "the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Or, as Marx later puts it, the struggle between the lower class (proletariat) and upper class (bourgeoisie). All of Marxist thought rest on this assertion. Without this universal absolute claim Marxist thought tumbles in on itself.

With this assertion comes the powerful sense of "us and them". There is the nobles, kings, slave owners, and aristocrats against the peasants, poor, slaves, etc. There is no in between. Either you are part of one class or you're not. Even small business owners are viewed as secret supporters of the bourgeoisie since they own property can be swallowed up by bigger businesses or becomes a big business.

The struggle between these two classes is that of power, and the only way one side wins is with the enslavement or elimination of the other. "The immediate aim of Communist is the same as that of all other proletarian parties: formation of the proletariat into a class, the overthrow of the bourgeois supremacy, conquest of political power by the proletariat." All sense of achievement is reduced to the establishment of political power.

What is interesting about the Marxist phrasing of "us and them" and the achievement of political power is how reductionist yet relevant these ideas are. Man is reduced to the mercy of an incredibly materialistic and hostile worldview. The goal of man is to achieve political power in the context of a class struggle which everyone is a part of. All views of man are reduced to social class. Today, Marxist thought can be heard in the crevices of postmodern culture. Within the quagmire of postmodern thought lies the idea of patriarchy, corporations, and race empowerment which all establish a "us and them" mentality. All of these meta-narratives assert that supremacy is achieved with political power. Marxist thought still sneaks its way into the worldviews of today.

Within Marxism are two ideas which also influence over our postmodern world: that of determinism and deconstructionism.

Determinism runs through the blood of Marxist philosophy. "What else does the history of ideas prove, than that intellectual production changes its character in proportion as material production is changed? The ruling ideas of each age have ever been the idea of its ruling class." The proletariat is but a mere product of the bourgeoisie. This includes marriage, religion, ethics, and government. Everything from the proletariat's worldview and jobs is, according to Marxism, the deterministic result of the ruling class.

Since every idea that has existed in the past is but a mere Bourgeoisie myth to keep down the proletariat and control him, then these ideas, according to Marxism, are false. Marxism then moves into heavy deconstructionism. "There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion, and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it, therefore, acts in contradiction to all past historical experience." Marxism doesn't just seek to transform the world but to completely abolish the pre-existing one. There would be nothing left of the old if Marxism had its way on society.

We see a heavy amount of determinism and deconstructionism in many of today's movements. According to many feminist, the institution of marriage is a male construct and must be deconstructed. This actually aligns perfectly with Marxist thought as the manifesto states marriage is only an "institution of production" and "prostitution." Many progressive movements wish to abolish the influence of corporations on politics. Some would even do away with corporations as a whole. The view that man is only a product of his environment is rampant among many leading scientists such as Jared Diamond, author of "Guns, Germs, and Steel."

Many do not outright identify as Marxist, but the binding of Marxist thought weaves through much of society today. Reading the Communist Manifesto was interesting, but mainly insightful because Marxism is rampant amongst modern ideologies. I would recommend that everyone should read the "Communist Manifesto" not because of the merit of Marxist values but because it is educating. One will feel more understanding about the past and present influences of Marxist thought. The revolution for Marx may have failed, but much of his worldview remains.