Thoughts On Psalm 40

Thoughts On Psalm 40

"You are my God; You do not delay."

25
Thoughts On Psalm 40
Odyssey
“But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, ‘The LORD is great!’ As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the LORD keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my savior. Oh my God, do not delay.” -Psalm 41:16-17

Dear God, thank you for the opportunity to strive for excellence. Please help me remember that I am poor and that I do need you. You will not delay; your love is steadfast. Amen.

As a high schooler, seeing people shout to the Lord wasn't really a common part of my day. I rarely saw my peers step out in faith, and I probably didn't excel at it either. The Psalms are so versatile that I can find one for any situation. Often, Psalm 40 was my heart cry. Stepping out with faith in myself and God's plan was really hard, and the end result was not what I wanted. The psalm helped, though. It’s the inspiration for a popular U2 song: “I waited patiently for the Lord. He turned and heard my cry. He lifted me up out of the slimy pit, out of the mud mire. I will sing a new song… How long to sing this song?” Since I am quite familiar with the beginning of this lament of King David, I decided to focus on the rest a bit more. Towards the end, it mentions that the Lord’s plans are uncountable. That was what struck me. He has a plan for everything. He knows what he’s doing. I, quite frankly, don’t. I need Him to give me joy and gladness.

Psalm 40

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm:

1. I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

2. He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3. He put a new song in my mouth,

a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.

4. Blessed is the one
who trusts in the Lord,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.

5. Many, Lord my God,
are the wonders you have done,
the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.

6. Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—
but my ears you have opened—
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

7. Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.

8. I desire to do your will, my God;
your law is within my heart.”

9. I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips, Lord,
as you know.

10. I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
from the great assembly.

11. Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord;
may your love and faithfulness always protect me.

12. For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.

13. Be pleased to save me, Lord;
come quickly, Lord, to help me.

14. May all who want to take my life
be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
be turned back in disgrace.

15. May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
be appalled at their own shame.

16. But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”

17. But as for me, I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
you are my God, do not delay.

Love always,
Shelby