Thoughts On Life And The Hardships That Come With It

Reflections based on a William Gass reading.

12
imgview.info

My House

My house was a nice small green, whitish color. The sunflowers in the front and other collections of tulips and roses sat in the front. The huge clock struck eight. The fresh cut grass was shining in the night. I have come looking at my house as I walk down the street. A sense of sadness overcame me as I walked by my now old house. Tears lightly come down, piling onto the street, sorrow enveloped me wrapping me around with its fingertips. Some of them fell on leaves that were on the ground, some on the gravel. I could see the trail of tears on the street as I continued walking. I wonder who now lived in my old house. Was it a happy family? Or was it an old woman? Or was it a college student? Or was it a criminal? All I know is I missed my house. A lot of memories of the house came rushing to my head. I longed for the past. I wanted to go into my old house so badly to just see it one last time, to smell it one last time, to eat in it one last time. I noticed whoever had the house now did not take great care of it. Windows were shattered, shutters were flying off the hinges. Paint was coming off the house, fading away. Animals inhabited the gutters, squirrels, and chipmunks. The ceiling looked like it would crash at any second. The barbecue that I would use to grill, sat at the edge of the curb in shambles. Dust piled on to the house. It looked like the grill had been smashed over and over again. This was not my house anymore. As I continued walking I stared at my house one last time and continued on my way.

A Person

An old man sits at the end of the curb. He sits there, perplexed about his life and what could have went wrong. The old man twiddles with his fingers, tucking them away within his blanket. The man is short, weak, but seems to be wise in some kind of way. There could be a million things that went wrong in his life. He is indeed homeless. Many people are homeless and many have different responses to why this has happened. Bad luck, not following his dreams, or not having any family to take care of them. He is like many other millions and millions of homeless people. He clings to his one small blanket that he has, one of the only objects he has near him. He begs people for food or money, anything he can get. I could see his sad eyes. It was cold outside as he sat there shivering in the wintery wind. It was a low 20 degrees outside, cold enough to see your breath in the air. Cold enough to freeze your soul and heart. It was a biting cold that had no compassion or understanding. People walked by with scarfs and layers of clothing. My fingers were freezing, feeling like they would fall off at any second. I feel bad for him and drop a couple of dollars in his empty water bottle where he was asking for money. Out of the kindness of my heart, the man acknowledges me and gives me a sign that he respects me with a head motion. He doesn’t even have a donation box or jar. As I walk away, he says thank you. The old man surprisingly takes out a small photograph of what it looks like to be his daughter of some sort. He stares at the photograph for a while as he turns back to say something to me. He says I will have food to eat tonight because of your kindness and generosity. I walk away, wishing I could have done more.

Weather

There is a great wind outside. The breeze causes bags to float and fly away in the air. Balloons fly away in the air. It could be a child’s lost balloon. Trees rumble and shake, leaves falling off the trees, as well as branches. It looks like a tree could fall any second now. Papers were flinging in the air. The sun is shining, but it is still freezing outside. Sections of the sidewalks and streets seem to be tearing away. The streets are secluded; no one seems to be outside besides some animals. A stray dog walks the streets with its head down. Some try and take shelter anywhere they can find. The wind continued to pick up as if furious. What I really wanted to do was to stay in my home. The weather brings about our own feelings, but everything will be better over time once the storm goes away.

Business

I walked by staring at empty stores down the street. Dust and dirt were collecting in the stores. People in jeans and sweatpants walk by, people of different ethnicities. A kid stares in at the famous toy store that is no longer there. What they were going to put there, nobody quite knew. It’s been sitting there as a useless waste of space for many years. He stares in marvel at how such a beautiful great toy store was now an empty dirty waste of space. Any toy you could want could be found in there, when it was there. Many people flocked to this store. People lined the streets, waiting for it to open. I can remember the days of walking by and seeing it packed. Especially before the holidays. There was a great train that went around the whole store. Great reindeer inhabited the store. Beautiful nutcrackers used to be in the store. Santa figures used to be in the windows. The owner would have great generous sales all the time. The kid remembers the owner of the old store who was a great friend. One day at the store he stared and wanted one of the toys that was there, a beautiful nutcracker, but he could not afford it. This nutcracker was unlike any of the other toys in the store to the boy. The owner although saw him staring at the toy as the boy reached in his pockets to see if he had enough money which he didn't. The man knelt down and gives him the nutcracker on a day close to Christmas time. The boy thanks him and hands him all the change and money that he possibly had. Now staring at the store, he can see it is all gone now. It was a shame, but nothing lasts forever. No matter how much we want it too.

A Person

I sat and stared outside as I saw my first lover pass by. My heart ached. You have to watch out for women, they will have no shame in breaking your heart. Some are out to just get your money. Some just want a little something. It hurts to see when they don’t believe in you and think you will never amount to anything. People love to talk down about others and make fun of their looks. Some people do not want to see you succeed, they will easily downplay your achievements and look on your weaknesses. Like you are just a piece of trash on the street. The worst is having your friends and family believe the same thing. That you’re a nobody, who will always be a nobody. That’s the worst thing. People who know you well and are close to you. All you have is yourself. The choices we make define us. Girls think you are just another dog. Some believe that we guys are all the same, that we search for just one thing. She was my first and my last ever since. There was a way in which she walked. She had broken my heart, I felt no sympathy for her and now despised her. It hurts to think of the good times that we had, the walks, the late night kisses, and the times of doing things for each other. I hoped one day something bad will happen to her. When we saw each other in town sometimes, we could do nothing but stare at each other in disgust. Our generation has it's fake ideas of love and its portrayal. People now want to just hook up and not date. Sometimes, we just walk by each other and pretend not to notice one another’s appearance. She had cheated on me with someone else, a horrible guy. Good thing he wasn’t with her, it would have made me even angrier. She was more beautiful than ever, with her long blonde hair shining. I still loved her truly deep down. I felt like the most miserable person now. As I sit here in my empty house reminiscing on old times. I put down the photograph of my old girlfriend with me in it and put it in the trash, to be gone forever.

The Church

The church sat on the high hill. An old, forgotten church. It sat there, wishing for people to come in, it had been deserted years upon years ago. Ever since the great shooting that happened there ten years ago. I traverse and stare at the great church in pity. I can vaguely start to remember the church. I was raised in this church since the age of five. It was a beautiful church, overlooking the water and the vast mountains nearby. It was a pain to climb up it or drive there but that was about it. The shooter was now in jail, but that couldn’t feel the empty spot in many people’s hearts. Ten people died that same day ten years ago. Some were young children. For what reason nobody knew. Terrorism is a terrible thing. Roses in front of the church sat there, as I laid my rose down. It was for my brother who died on that same day. He was twenty years old and had a bright future. He was going to become an accomplished doctor, he loved to help people and care for them. He was kind and had a million-dollar smile. A smile that lit up the whole entire room. A smile that came around every hundred years. He never could be in a horrible mood. He was in college and had a girlfriend and we all loved him. And why did he die? Because the shooter was mad at life for screwing him over. He was as well mad at his parents, so he shot up the church. He was mad at the world. He never got the help he needed. I could still see the gunshots lining outside the church. The shattered windows and shots that rippled through the door. Nobody liked to go to this church anymore, it reminded them of it. It hurt. A bullet grazed and shot a statue of Jesus Christ and a portrait of God. I paid my respects and as I went to leave, I heard a faint sound. I heard teardrops hitting the ground, but from where I do not know. It sounded like my brother for a second. Then there was nothing, I walked away trying to hold back tears as I drove home. I miss my brother. Rest in peace.