Thoughts On "How Would You Feel (Paean)"

Ed Sheeran's newest track will make you believe in love again.

146
Entertainment Weekly

Thoughts on "How Would You Feel (Paean)" by Ed Sheeran

Unless you've been living under a rock, or you just don't enjoy things that are good in this world, you would know that Ed Sheeran is back! He took a year-long hiatus from social media so that he could see the world with his own eyes. Luckily for all of us, he didn't take a complete hiatus from his music... he's been busy! His latest album, ÷ (Divide), is set to drop on March 3rd after over a year of waiting! His newest track, "How Would You Feel (Paean)", was released by Sheeran just last week as a way of saying Happy Birthday to himself. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I loved the song after one listen and numerous hours spent with it playing on repeat. Here are some thoughts on yet another beautiful acoustic love song.

You are the one girl, and you know that it's true.

I'm feeling younger Every time that I'm alone with you

Imagine a love like this. You are young, with an entire life ahead of you; a life that is entirely yours for the making. We live for many years, years that we strive to make the most of. So imagine finding such a unique love so profound and pure that being with that person makes time slow down and age reverse. Love is a timeless idea, it’s the same love when you're young as when you are old. That's why that adorable old couple you see while out to eat can laugh at each other because one just got ice cream on their nose. It's a beautiful thing, true love.

We were sitting in a parked car
Stealing kisses in the front yard
We got questions we should not ask but

There are moments in a young person's life that only happen once or twice, and we wish they lasted for an eternity. These moments are fleeting, passionate, and incredibly beautiful. I am a young man, but even I can recognize some of these everlasting moments. It is in moments like these that the world around us disappears, time freezes, and the circumstances that we are in just seem to become utterly irrelevant. Questions are saved, inhibitions are discounted, and the moment is treasured.

How would you feel, if I told you I loved you? It's just something that I want to do. I'll be taking my time, spending my life Falling deeper in love with you. So tell me that you love me too

Commitment. How wonderful--and to be honest, really attractive--to know that someone is in it for the long haul and not just to pass time. The chorus of this song is the most beautiful stanza of the whole piece. It's quite inspiring actually. It's almost a goal to achieve, holding someone so intimately close to your heart that you can offer a genuine, selfless love. Imagine loving somebody solely for the sake of loving them, and falling more in love with them with every day that passes. Even if they are separated by many miles, that love can be just as strong.

In the summer, as the lilacs bloom, Love flows deeper than the river Every moment that I spend with you. We were sat upon our best friend's roof, I had both of my arms round you, Watching the sunrise replace the moon

Imagery is exceptionally powerful, especially images of beautiful things. Most people know the feeling of a beautiful summer day where the world seems to unfold around you in a blossom of warm beauty and splendor. So serene is a warm summer evening spent listening to the music of the nighttime. Sitting and holding the most precious thing imaginable while getting lost in each moment until nighttime melts to daytime is truly a memory worth treasuring.

How would you feel, if I told you I loved you? It's just something that I want to do I'll be taking my time, spending my life Falling deeper in love with you So tell me that you love me to

This is such a tender emotion, so sweet in the humility of it all. There are no assumptions, no pressures of obligation, but rather a wholesome respect. I think that is the real key, respect. Without an incredible amount of respect for the other person, there can't be any of the mutual growth that a healthy relationship allows. However, at the end of the day, those in love just want to be loved. Who doesn't want to be loved? It is love that fuels the life we live.

"How Would You Feel (Paean)" is a very rich song, full of very wonderful, vulnerable feelings. The music behind the lyrics also adds another layer to the depth of this song and its acoustic nature lets the listener really connect with the music. The rest of Ed Sheeran's album will be here soon. And if the rest of the tracks are anything like this one, we'd better get the tissues ready!