I'm about halfway through training for my first half marathon in March and it's been a mental rollercoaster so far. Here's some of the reoccurring and relatable thoughts that run through my mind (Get it?) during my runs, expressed by the characters of 'The Office'.
1. How I'm not getting discouraged about all the mileage I still have to gain in the next 2 months.
Nothing motivates quite like a quickly approaching deadline.
2. When you're already exhausted and no where near finished the distance you planned on running.
Motivation begins to dwindle and you're just trying to drown out the sound of your panting by turning up the music in your ears.
3. Another mile down and still feeling good!!
*Pats self on the back*
4. When you check the odometer app expecting to be at the end of another mile but you're actually just at .67 of it.
Nope, keep running.
5. When your body stops functioning.
C'mon legs, get it together.
6. When you get the sudden motivation to take the hilly path.
Sometimes, you gotta be your own hype man.
7. When you pass a fellow runner on the streets.
We're all in this together!!
8. When just the right hype song comes on shuffle.
Your run's playlist really makes or breaks the whole thing if you ask me.
9. When everything's going well and then... SIDE STITCH.
10. When it's cold, raining, and windy...all at the same time.
Time to run all the way back to bed.
All jokes aside, I am completely glad that I decided to run this half marathon and have yet to have any regrets. As painful as running can be, the challenge of it makes the sense of accomplishment and progress THAT much greater.