First Thoughts On "Green Light"

First Thoughts On "Green Light"

Lorde, I have missed you, and I'm so glad to hear your voice again.

7
First Thoughts On "Green Light"
Consequence of Sound

I have waited three, agonizing years, for Lorde to release something, anything.

She finally delivered last week with her newest single, "Green Light", the first song from her sophomore album Melodrama, which is set to be released this summer.

This song came at the perfect moment of change in my life and I am certain Lorde knew that. Does she know who I am? No. Does that matter? No.

I realized this song was perfect for this moment as I walked down the sidewalk on my campus after turning in my major declaration form, leaving my first session of group therapy for this semester, and heading to my last track practice before my first collegiate race ever. Was it magic? Maybe.

Side Note: Why did I not know how incredible listening to music while walking around campus is? This is a true gift.

It's the perfect song to walk (perhaps throw your arms out to the side) and spin around in the rain, too. I'm sure someone watched from their room and shook their head at my whisper-screaming show.

Lorde has been one of my favorite artists since "Royals" was released in 2013. She led me by the hand through my slightly-grungy moments in the middle of high school and her earlier music will always hold a special place in my heart.

I will also forever remember listening to "Tennis Court", "A World Alone", "White Teeth Teens", "Swingin Party, and "The Love Club" far too much the summer before my sophomore year while splashing down a river and through the dark, dusty fields of a campground.

"Green Light" is a little lighter and easier to dance to than her previous singles and anything she has released before.

We've grown up since "Royals" and so has Lorde and that's reflected in this song and is expected to be a main theme in Melodrama. That's the beauty of listening to an artist who is on relatively the same timeline in life as you.

The challenges of becoming an adult in an increasingly confusing world are echoed throughout this first song. For Lorde, I think this song is reflecting a lot on becoming a more mature person and artist. That being said, she isn't forgetting where she has been and the original voice we were introduced to in Love Club and Pure Heroine.

We're all waiting for that green light in one way or another. I am so grateful that this song accurately displays the anticipation and release in the small victories on our way to the start of everything we've ever wanted to do.