I thought you were a true friend, but you weren't

To The Girl Who I Thought Was A True Friend

People come and go, but true friends stay.

953

We've all heard the saying "Friends come and go," but what about those friendships that you thought weren't going anywhere? What do you do when someone who you thought was a true friend leaves you in a time of need? There are no answers on what to do, only words to say to the friend who left. And if you think I am talking about you, then I probably am.

To the friend who purposely left my side when I needed you the most, I still care about you. I still wish the very best for you and the memories of us still make me smile inside. I wish no harm to you. I want to know how you could be so cold as to leave, though? I want you to know that you leaving my side made me feel worthless and lonely. You took me to a darker place than I already was in. You made me feel worthless and turned a part of me cold. You were my person to turn to, my emergency contact. I thought you were in it for the long run, but I guess that's my bad. I thought we were closer than we were and you taught me to now hold distance with friendships; thank you for that. You discreetly left my side, which I would argue is the worst way to do so. You left me wondering what I did wrong, what I did to make you so mad that you just left. Knowing if I brought it up, you would play the victim. You made me question what was wrong with me. You ghosted me like a shady ex would do, but you weren't a shady ex-boyfriend; you were a friend that I trusted with my life.

I hope when you read this it sparks emotions and makes you question things the way I did. Losing a friend isn't easy. It's easier than ending a relationship, but there is still a part of you that goes when that friend goes. What I found in this mess is that there are warning signs that you have a toxic friend, and I ignored them with you. You didn't want to help, you felt compelled to help. You didn't like inviting me out to places, only when you felt compelled. And that's not a friend. You were never a friend. I was someone to pass the time with until you found your place, and although I wish you no harm, I hope the same happens to you some day so you understand the pain it feels to not have anyone to turn to in a time of need.