A Thought for Every Mile of Your First Half-Marathon

13.1 miles, 13.1 billion opportunities for your mind to wander.

3
Janji: Run for Another

These days, it seems like everyone is hitting the trails and logging the mileage to compete in distance races. Many college students don't have the time to get down to the gym, or join a team sport - running is inexpensive and easy to schedule, so why wouldn't that be the obvious alternative? It can feel fairly pointless without an end-game, though, which is why the half-marathon has suddenly become so popular. Not only does it provide a schedule for a few months of training (no more cheat days, guys), but it also provides a huge sense of satisfaction. You don't just run, you run a lot and look at this really cool thing that you did to prove it!

But no matter how great of an athlete you are, the half isn't easy - and trust me, over the course of the (more or less) two hour race, your mind will be running just as fast as your feet.

Mile 1: Here we go! Months (well, weeks, if we’re being honest) of training have led up to this moment; I’m definitely going to crush it.

Mile 2: Does everyone run this fast the whole time?

Mile 3: I have never seen more dudes rocking compression shorts in my life. Should I have worn spandex? Is this some runner thing that I missed?

Mile 4: I’m just going to pick someone and race them to the end, since competition is the best motivation. Hmm… Let’s go with that girl. She seems to be going at about the same pace as me.

Mile 5: Aaaannnd she’s wearing a Varsity Cross Country shirt. Nope.

Mile 6: Repeat after me: it’s not just a run, it’s chasing a better looking version of yourself. Gigi Hadid is going to be begging for your workout schedule when this is over.

Mile 7: Left foot. Right foot. Left foot. Right foot. Don’t trip. Left foot. Right foot.

Mile 8: Mmm... I have to try out that new Thai place after this. Noodles sound so good… Runners have to carb-load, there’s my excuse.

Mile 9: I can’t feel my legs. I really hope I’m not supposed to feel my legs.

Mile 10: I probably should’ve actually followed my training schedule, considering there are 3 miles left and this is the farthest I’ve ever run in my life… Learning on the job is okay, right?

Mile 11: Not okay. Definitely should have trained.

Mile 12: I can feel my legs again! … I really wish I couldn’t feel my legs.

Mile 13: I think I see the finish line! Wait, no, that’s a street sign. Oh! Is that it? Nope, another sign.

The Final 0.1: Alright, here we go—I’m sprinting the rest! Man, I still have so much energy. This was totally worth it.