Thor's non-hot bod in 'Endgame'

Thor And How His Weight Gain In 'Endgame' Confirms Our View Of Body Image

Think of all the things he suffered and what it did to him mentally.

66
Marvel

Thor, the god of thunder, gained a little weight between the five-year gap in Avengers 'Endgame'. Who can blame him after all the shit that he went through?

Fans are outraged because he didn't have ripped abs and a trim waistline. Could you imagine losing all the people that he lost and be mentally and physically sound? Honestly?

Death does things to people, and it wasn't just simply him losing his mom. Everyone that meant anything to him in terms of family or friends died. Can we just take a minute and think of Thor as an actual person and not as Chris Hemsworth, the actor? *Spoiler Alert: It was a body suit. Chris Hemsworth didn't actually gain the weight that his character portrayed.*

Here's a rundown of the deaths he had to witness.

His mother: Frigga, was killed when Loki let the Frost Giants into Asgard. Thor witnessed her last breath. Who could keep it together after witnessing their mother's death, even if you are a god?

His father: Odin, he dies after hiding on Earth because Loki wanted to take over Asgard for his own and be its ruler. So both parents die.

Lady Sif and The Warriors Three: They all die by the hand of Hela, which is Thor's sister.

We can't forget that he also lost his Hammer, Mjolnir, his most prized possession.

Jane didn't die, but he lost her because of the Rainbow Bridge being destroyed. The two parted ways, and that broke him a little too.

Loki: his adopted brother. He dies at the hands of Thanos.

Heimdall: His best friend, he also dies at the hands of Thanos.

Oh, and let's not forget that he had to kill Hela to protect the people of Asgard.

So, if you add all of that up, he lost ten people that were close to him. All within a matter of a few years. Not to mention that he also killed Thanos and I think that was the final blow on top of everything.

Thor disappears for the five years and metaphorically licks his wounds and tries to forget all the trouble and loss that he suffered. He spent his days in a drunken stupor playing video games and eating junk food. Wouldn't anyone try to do the same?

Apart from the fact that it's just a movie, and Thor is a character in said movie lets address what this says about how people judge others on their looks. Thor was depressed and ate away his troubles. That's a thing! It's happened to me on several occasions. Food becomes a coping mechanism.

Women who watched this movie were outraged at the fact that they didn't get to ogle his "hot bod." That's just outrageous and blatant disrespect for the arc of the character. Here we find the double standard. Women are allowed to be overweight and expect men to love them regardless of their body image. Men, however, are expected to look a certain way for a woman to find them attractive.

People are so shallow and can't respect the arc of a character that is written for their entertainment. To me, Thor's state in 'Endgame' shows that there is more to him than rock hard abs and trim waist. He may be a god, but he can be conflicted just the same as an ordinary person. If the shoe had been on the other foot and let's say that Black Widow had gained weight over that five-year gap, there would be no backlash and everyone would say she was still beautiful.

Why are men expected to be fit, and yet women are not?

Let's move past our judgemental views and embrace the beauty of the story.