This or That: College Edition Vol. 2

This or That: College Edition Vol. 2

Left Twix or Right Twix? Yeah, that's important too.

563
This or That: College Edition Vol. 2
understood.org

Well, I'm back again with another This or That: College Edition. In the first article, I discussed several common decisions you will likely have to make as you go through college including, Mac vs. PC, morning vs. afternoon classes, in-state vs. out-of-state, and much more. In Vol. 2, I'll discuss 5 more popular decisions and give my opinion for both choices you have to choose from. Hopefully my opinions will give you some insight on the decisions you have to make and make it easier for you to approach them with confidence! Let's dig in.

1. Driving or Shuttle

There are already so many things you have to pay for while at college. Gas just adds to the bill. Some colleges offer shuttles that run different routes both on and off campus. The shuttle at Mississippi State can get you just about anywhere you need to go. It runs by several apartments, Walmart, the Historic Cotton District and all over campus. This grants you the opportunity to save on gas and money. But shuttles aren't always dependable. If you're in a hurry, chances are the shuttle won't be there in time to get you where you need to go by the time you need to be there. Sometimes, once on the shuttle, there may be 5 or 6 stops left before it makes it to your destination. You really just have to weigh your options. Driving on campus during the peaks of the day is already hard enough due to heavy traffic. Consider taking the bus or shuttle if available.

2. Writing Notes or Typing Notes

When it comes to note taking, it honestly depends on whatever is best for you. I personally like to write my notes because it helps me to remember them. Although in some classes that were taught at a faster pace, I chose to type my notes considering I type faster than I write. Some professors don't allow electronics and that forces you to take notes by hand. A lot of times, if electronics are allowed, I like to take notes by hand but have my textbook/slideshow open on my laptop. This helps me keep up when a professor change slides before I'm done writing or if he or she makes a reference to the textbook. I know some people who take notes on their iPad using an Apple pencil. That way, they have their notes, slideshows, and textbooks all digitally in one place. This is cool and convenient as well. It's up to you, but don't try to do what's cool. Do what best helps you retain information.

3. Studying in Groups or Studying Alone

Sometimes when studying groups, it's easy to get distracted - especially when studying with your friends. But studying with others gives you the opportunity to have more explanations. One person may not be able to explain what you don't get, but another person may be able to. Plus, with examples on top of examples on top of examples, eventually something in your brain will eventually click and you'll begin to understand what you're studying. Studying alone is good if you focus better alone, but what about when you're missing notes or you get stuck? Shooting a quick text to a classmate isn't always a reliable resource. They may be busy and may take hours to text back. It depends on your preferred method of study. Try both and see what's best for you.

4. Dorm or Apartment

Dorms are awesome because they put you on campus in the heart of everything. You can literally walk everywhere: to class, to eat, the gym, even to football games. But living in an apartment gives you endless freedom and sometimes, living off campus can save you money. Most schools require freshman to live on campus - which is definitely understandable. But after freshman year, you're free to do what you want. Having an apartment means you can have company whenever, sleepovers (because why not), and you can cook for yourself. Having your first apartment means you have responsibilities to take care of: bills to pay, cleaning up, locking the door behind you. Even the little things make a difference. Having an apartment can also lead you to be less responsible too, when it comes to school work. If you can manage your time and money well, keep school first, and prioritize, I don't see why getting an apartment would be a problem after freshman year.

5. NPHC or Panhellenic

For those of you that aren't familiar with Greek life, the NPHC consists of the Divine 9 historically black sororities and fraternities. Panhellenic generally refers to predominately white sororities. Don't make the ethnicity title halt you though, there are Caucasians who join NPHC sororities and African Americans who join Panhellenic sororities. I know that you can be active in NPHC sororities for life (they have alumni chapters), but in a Panhellenic sorority, you can only be an active member while you're in school. The main thing I can tell you here is to do what you want to do!!! Don't let others influence your decisions when it comes to going Greek. Consider both. Consider one. Consider whatever, but make sure you consider. Don't just do what your friends or family do. Look into organizations and do your research. See what each of them stand for, how they impact the community, and how high they keep their standards. Don't settle for less. If you're going to give your time and money to a specific organization, make sure you choose what's best for you.

So, that concludes Vol. 2 of my This or That series! I hope my discussion on these 5 topics can help you make your decision or at least give you more confidence when choosing between two tough choices. I'll be back with Vol. 3 soon -with more college related choice that you may be faced to make. The list goes on and on, but hopefully, the decisions won't be too hard for you to make.