This One's For My Life-Long Friend

This One's For My Life-Long Friend

Nothing is more valuable and unique than the friend who has been there through it all.

15
This One's For My Life-Long Friend
adaring.com

Friendship is a bitter-sweet aspect of life. It is an incredibly special bond and is unique to everyone, but at the same time it is ever-changing. As we grow up and go through the changes of life, friends come and go, which can be necessary and humbling but also nostalgic. Sometimes it hurts when friends leave our lives, other times it is imperative. But for those of us who are lucky, a friend sticks around through it all.

The life long friend that one friend that you have know since a very young age and you've grown up with and never once questioned the friendship you two have. The one who is family, your second family and they treat you like one of their own. That person you can sit around and do absolutely nothing with and have a great time. The one who has never once passed judgment. The one who is just there - your 'friend soulmate'. Yeah, it is those friendships that are something to cherish, preserve and always be grateful for.

They have seen you though it all. That bratty devil-child stage. Roughly ages four through eleven, when you were horrible to each other and everyone around you and arguably the biggest diva's ever. But, somehow you still wanted to spend every waking second together. Your parents wanted to strangle you both for the amplified attitude you had when you were together. You could get mad at each other one second and be playing happily the next.

They saw you through the awkward middle school years. Ah yes, the utterly terrifying stylistic choices, goofy mid-growth spurt body and scary weird social skills. You know, in-between 'play dates' and 'hanging out'. When, although you were probably too old, with them you weren't too prideful to still play American Girl Dolls. They didn't care, you didn't care, you were happily awkward together.

You even remained friends throughout high school. A time when friendships are often tested and pushed to the limit. When morals are challenged and a lot of people become the person they said they never would. Popularity rears its ugly head and takes even the most kindred of souls. But not this person, they remained the goofy, fun-loving amazing person you grew up with. Sure you did different activities, even made different friends. But, your friendship was always there. They did their thing and you did yours, but still kept each other a priority.

The many challenges of college never once hindered your bond. If anything it made it stronger. You became grateful that you had that one person, even if just over text message, when you were thrown into a world where you knew nothing and no one. They were still there, even if they were not five minutes down the road anymore. When you had to grow as a person, become humble and struggle and begin to learn who you are, they were there. They could turn a crummy day around just by sending you some silly dog video or just saying 'hey'. And just as equally, you were there for them. Although you were not together, you still grew together.

Growing together. That is what I believe makes a genuine, long-lasting friendship. You don't necessary grow in the same way or at the same time, but you do not grow apart either. You grow separate, and in different ways, but you still grow together. You go through different struggles at different times, you succeed at different things. But no matter, they have always been your biggest fan, and you theirs. They are your inspiration and your biggest supporter. They love you unconditionally and you love them the same.

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. ~Elisabeth Foley