This One Is For The Girls

This One Is For The Girls

You are the ones I am going to tell my kids about.

7
This One Is For The Girls
Lauren Slygh

In August of 2016, I took the leap of faith and moved to a new city. Not too far away from home, but far enough.

I only knew a few familiar faces, and didn't see them much during the first few weeks. I would have never guessed that I would meet the girls I know and love today, in the first moments of my orientation week.

My largest fear coming to college, was that I wouldn't be a social butterfly. I didn't know if I would have someone to do homework with, or eat dinner with every night, or even accept me for who I am. Everything was just... different.

It is crazy to think that 9 months ago, I didn't know any of you. I didn't know your families or your history, your boyfriends and friends back home. I went 18 years not knowing such amazing people, and now in such a short time my life has been changed by all of you. You all have seen me at my worst, my best, and everywhere in between. AND YOU LOVE ME JUST THE SAME.

Its true what they say, the best is yet to come.

When we all met we clicked, and had a memorable time ever since. I opened up to all of you so quickly, and it was easy. You were all so loving and accepting. We are all so alike, share so much in common, honestly it's scary sometimes.

When you are away from your home and your parents for the first time, the world can be a terrifying place, so you take refuge in your college friends. They let you use their coffee makers and eat the food out of their fridge, host 2 a.m. cram sessions with you, they'll pick you up after a mental breakdown, spot you cash, give you a place to escape, they talk with you about your future and your goals, and let you cry into their shoulders, they’ll bring you coffee and send you memes when you’re having a bad day, they take spontaneous trips with you, and offer to drop out and become a stripper with you if the whole college thing doesn’t end up working out; but aside from all of that, and most importantly, they love you.

Not the you, you were when you were under your parents’ wing, the real adult version of who you are.

I now have amazing girls that I am able to share so many common interests, crazy laughs, insanely fun times, and stories about home to. Even though we didn't grow up together I still feel at "home" when we to hear share stories, visit home towns, and meet up with each others families.

We are all like toddlers taking their first steps, and although it feels like the world is going to open up and swallow us daily, it's pretty damn comforting to know that we're not alone. If one person is fed to the flame, you can bet your ass there is an army waiting to jump in after them, and those, my friends, are our soul mates; our aux cord stealin’, Wildcat eaten’, late night G-Eazy rappin’ college best friends.

I have always been told that it was not about how long you have known someone it's about who came into your life, stood by your side, and never left.

You all have proven that this slogan is undoubtedly true. Despite only meeting less than a year ago, I have always been able to open up and share many things about myself, easily. You have never judged me or been too busy to listen to my emotional problems in the midst of studying like crazy. We have, in a short period of time, created an unbreakable bond. Whether it is to take a quick trip to Meijer, any of our favorite food places, or because I need advice. You all are always one phone call or a short walk across campus away.

Every time the stress of college has gotten to me you have been there to help me relieve stress or encourage me not to give up and I cannot thank you all enough for that.

The journey of college and the path way to getting degree is a difficult one. Without all of the constant support, jokes about dropping out and doing nothing with our lives, or late night study sessions, I don't think I would be able to manage. I know one day all our many hours spent in the library and making coffee runs to make it through the day will be well worth it.

I'm glad I get to share my college experience with you.

I couldn't imagine going through college without you guys by my side.
Now, I couldn't imagine the rest of my life without you either.

I know one day you all will be a part of my wedding and every big event that occurs in my life. I know you will be here through it all, I wouldn't have it any other way. I wasn't sure IWU was the place for me, but I knew for certain after meeting you that I chose to attend the right school. I am certain God had us all meet for a reason. You are not only my college best friends, but also my forever friends. I can’t thank God enough for surrounding me with the group of friends I have met in college.

We are an arms length away from the real world. These types of bonds don’t just fade away, they are special.

If you want to stay in someone’s life these days you have to make it apparent, you aren’t going to see them everyday like you did in high school; it requires real, honest-to-God effort to support a friendship now. I don't think there is anything more assuring than that, knowing your presence in someone’s life is appreciated so greatly.

To all of my friends out there, even if I don't say it quite enough, I love and appreciate you. Thank you for being you.

Not only am I going to miss you, but I am also going to miss the incredible amount of closets available to raid, going out with my best friends on the daily, the meals in which we eat the equivalent amount of food to our body weight, and the times we could sit around doing nothing but still enjoy each others' company.

Don’t forget to text me all summer to ask what outfit you should wear, send me ugly Snapchats and make some funny memories that you can tell me about when we’re reunited.

I love you and I don't know how I lived for so many years not knowing you, but I'm glad that's over.

Here's to the memories that we've made and the ones we will make.