Stop Trying To Injure Alabama's Star Players

This Isn't Target Practice, This Is College Football, So Stop Aiming For Alabama's Star Players

Aiming for someone's achilles heel is just wrong in any sport especially SEC football.

224

You would have to be blind not to see that beloved quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is currently the target of any team the Crimson Tide plays. Being a frontrunner for the Heisman is undoubtedly the biggest honor any college football player could have, that along with having not one, but two National Championship rings in two years. But all that could be lost if the elephant in the room is not addressed, and I am not talking about Big Al.

It has been ongoing in the issue since Tua first sprained his knee a few games ago. However, in recent games against LSU at Baton Rouge and Mississippi State at Bryant-Denny, it became clear that Tua is the bright crimson target, so fans wonder if maybe Tua should keep playing when he isn't needed as much. In a recent interview, Saban addressed the concerns and said that Tua is fine, and we all get it because he has the rings, and we don't. Still could playing Tua against a team like Citadel still be fatal. Maybe letting Tua join Jalen Hurts on the bench might be the safe bet.

Tua deserves the Heisman (sorry to my Buckeye dad). Having his name along past winners like Herschel Walker and Barry Sanders would be huge. In the entirety of the Heisman, only two players from Alabama have won. Tua deserves this. I might seem like a broken record, but he does. He plays with heart and with determination. Without him, who knows what the outcome of the last National Championship would have been or what this season would look like (probably still pretty great, it is Alabama). But other teams and their fans sure would like to see Tua incapacitated.

LSU fan Darriel from Columbus, Georgia called the "Paul Finebaum Show" and said he believed the secret in beating the Crimson Tide is to, "take out Tua's knee." He went on to say, "Who cares about a headshot? Take out a knee and you got them beat." Finebaum found this as despicable as any sensible and moral person would. Finebaum responded by saying, "Anyone that would call into this program or put on Twitter a suggestion in doing serious injury to a college football player is disgusting. It may be legal, but it's despicable.

I can't believe you would even write that down." The problem is that Darriel the LSU fan isn't alone in his opinion. There are obviously other people who are so green with envy and so twisted in their own fanaticism in supporting their team that they don't see the harm in this. Anyone who would even consider or encourage harming another human being for something as frivolous as a football game is not sane. Look at the repercussions and consequences of the actions of the two LSU fans who killed the Alabama fan. What is this world coming to?

I have no doubt that Alabama is going to succeed in the playoffs and in the potential National Championship. But an injured Tua and an injured Jalen could create mass hysteria especially if they are the targets of a violent football conspiracy. Alabama fans are tried and true, and we will support our team and our coaches regardless.

Alabama's football team is the pinnacle of the football universe. They're good, we know they're good, and they do it with grace and with the love of their fans. However, if the situation presents itself and if needed, it is clear that freshman quarterback Mac Jones can hold his own on the field until Tua and Jalen get back, after all, they are a team of many. Let's just hope we don't need to find out.