What I've Learned From Family Reunions

5 Things Family Reunions Have Taught Me About Family

Every family is a little messed up, and that's perfectly okay.

23
Cassidy Rich
This summer my extended family on my maternal grandmother's side had a reunion in New Mexico. I flew in all the way from Washington, D.C. because I didn't want to miss this. We hadn't had a reunion like this in years and I wanted to make sure I was there for all the fun, excitement, drama, and craziness. It was an absolute blast and I couldn't have asked for a better long weekend. Below are 5 things I realized as I reflected on the trip.

Every single family out there has a story.

Cassidy Rich

This sounds like a "duh" statement. Let me explain: The picture above is of my great-grandfather, his brother, and their friend. No one in the family is sure when this photo was taken, but we guess it was between 1935-1939 when my great-grandfather was a teenager. My great-grandfather (on the far left) was dared by his friend (on the far right) to ask out a cute girl they both knew. The friend told my great-grandfather, "I dare you to ask her out. She'll never say yes." Well, my great-grandfather asked the cute girl out and not long after that the two of them were married. The rest is history.

Family reunions help remind us about what is truly important in life.

Cassidy Rich

Every time I'm around family, whether it's my immediate or extended family, I'm reminded that there is nothing more important or more worth your time than hanging out with those you love and those who love you. We hardly ever see each other, but each time we do, we update each other and reminisce about the old times and past family reunions. It's just plain fun.

Family isn’t always “blood.”

Cassidy Rich

Sometimes at family reunions, you find out things that you didn't know before about your relatives. While these new bits and pieces of information can be hard to take or make you view certain relatives in a different light, you have to remember it's not always a particular relative's fault. Showing mercy, forgiveness, and empathy is key.

Family is why I do what I do.

Cassidy Rich

Why do I spend so much money on plane tickets to come see family? Because living faraway has taught me that you can't replace your loved ones. There is a void when you're not with them. I believe wholeheartedly that family is what makes the world go 'round. Why does anyone do anything for anyone else? Because of family.

Family is ground zero.

Cassidy Rich

When you don't know what to do next, you can go to family. You can always go to family.