At 15 years old, I thought I knew a lot about the world. I thought I knew most things that were necessary to being successful or having friends or being close with my family. Luckily, I had someone to show me the ropes: my mom. It's not that I was wrong in thinking that the lessons I had learned were valuable, but it's that I didn't know how much I would continue to learn as life happened.
1. When your personality is ugly, your looks will follow
It is really hard for a 15-year-old girl to believe that people aren't as attractive when they have an awful personality, but now that I am in my 20s I can definitely see the truth in this.
2. Your metabolism won't stay the same forever
Ha, yes. When I look back at pictures from high school I'm constantly thinking to myself "Why did I think I was fat?"
3. You don't want to be one of those girls who peaks in high school
It's hard to understand this when you're in high school and living through its highs and lows, but I'm so glad that I went through what I did.
4. *Insert THAT girl's name* IS peaking in high school
My mom was ALWAYS right about this. Always.
5. Nothing has ever been solved by overthinking a situation
I still can't think of a time this hasn't been true.
6. *Insert tiny problem* isn't worth getting worked up over
Whether this was about a fight with my best friends, a break up with an ex or college apps, looking back on it my mom was right; none of those problems were worth the tears or the energy.
7. Sleep is way more important than you think it is
Even though I know some people can thrive off of 4 hours of sleep literally every night, but I need my 8 hours like I need to breathe.
8. Not everything is what it seems like on social media
Instagram wasn't nearly as popular as it is now, but my mom was way ahead of her time when she told me that not everything on social media is accurate. TBT to the time when "Instagram Influencer" wasn't something you could put on a resume.
9. You are smarter than you think you are, but not as smart as your mom
Yeaaaaa... I'm still learning this one.
10. Your friends from high school won't be your friends forever
I went through a few different friend groups in high school, not without unnecessary drama or controversy, but my mom's advice (once again) was true. I only hang out with about 7 people from high school and I couldn't be happier.