Things You Should Know If Your Server Tells You They're New

Starting off as a server means you're being thrown into a whole new world of new routines and menus to memorize and from the perspective of the customer, it may not look like it's that much when it really is. Especially coming from one restaurant to another or starting as a wait staff member entirely new, it's quiet the adjustment to learn the routine of the place you work. You'll probably spend the first few weeks asking a lot of questions and taking notes on what is and is not on the menu. Here's a couple things to consider being a customer if you're server tells you they're new.

They most likely won't know food nicknames

Nicknames or restaurant names won't be memorized for a while. Just tell them simply if it's a burger, sandwhcich, etc. so they can ask what sides you'd like with it.

They may not know where everything is

If the restaurant has a lot of store surrounding it or activity rooms joined to it, they might not have memorized directions for them yet.

The menu lists the ingredients when your server probably cant

Regular starter plates will most likely be memorized by the server but don't expect them to be able to recite what's on the burger with everything on it within the first week. You have the menu for a reason, too.

They may not know what dressings are which

Especially if you're a person like me who doesn't like salad coming into a restaurant, majority of dressings look the same.

Tickets may be mixed up

If they put in something in a way the kitchen is not used to, they may end up adding something or taking out something. Sorry.

The best thing to do with new servers to be patient with them. They may not know everything but they'll try their best to make you happy. Remember, most of their paycheck comes from your tip so be considerate if they're working hard to please you.