14 Things You Learn From Living In The South

Sweet Southern comfort.
118

I have always loved where I lived. Sure, when I was younger I wanted to be anywhere but here (and I do still occasionally get that feeling, too) but I honestly wouldn't trade living in the South for anything. Living here has its pros and cons, like everyone knowing your business, but I believe that the good outweighs the not so good by a long shot. Here are just some of the many things I have learned from living in Dixie.

1. You never meet a stranger.

Someone's gonna know who you belong to. Whether they know your mama, your grandaddy, or your neighbor.

2. You never really know how much you can miss sweet tea until you leave the South.

It basically runs through our veins.

3. You're used to people asking you to "talk" for them, just so they can hear your accent.

4. But with that, you also get the people who give you the "correct" pronunciation and/or they don't even understand what you said.

5. Your idea of directions are landmarks and stoplights.

You also measure distance in minutes/hours, not miles.

6. Words like "y'all", "ain't", "yonder", "fixin' to", and "reckon" become part of your everyday vocabulary without you even noticing.

7. You refer to any kind of carbonated drink as a "Coke", not a "soda".

"What do you want to drink?" "Coke." "Okay, what kind?" "Mountain Dew."

8. "All y'all" and "and them" are acceptable forms of people measurement.

"How's your mama and them?"

9. You're used to getting called "honey", "darlin'", "baby", "sweetie" and "sweetheart" by complete strangers.

"Here's your change, have a nice day!" "Thank you, darlin', have a good one."

10. Summer is for trips to the river, creeks, the beach, and fishin'.

11. Hunting season might as well be an ongoing holiday.

12. There's nothing in the world like SEC football. Or the Auburn/Alabama rivalry, for that matter.

War Eagle, y'all. ;)

13. Even though we're from the South and are known for having an easy-going attitude, we're also known to get fired up.

Pulling up next to the car that cut you off like...

14. You learn to appreciate every little sound and sight of the South, because it really is one of the most beautiful places to be.

And we're lucky enough to call it home.