Things You Know If You're From Delaware

Things You Know If You're From Delaware

Reppin' the buff and blue!

256
Things You Know If You're From Delaware

Delaware is the sixth smallest state when it comes to population, and the second smallest geographically. But don't let the size fool you—Delaware natives are more than happy to call their state home. Whether you live their for life, grow up there, or retire there, you'll be hooked. Anyone who has resided in the Diamond State for any period of time knows these things to be true:

1. No one knows where Delaware is, so you tell them where you are in reference to Washington D.C., Baltimore, and Philadelphia.

You see that little blot of red? That's good ol' Delaware. I've been asked if Delaware is in Pennsylvania, in between New Hampshire and Vermont, or, my personal favorite, an island in the Pacific. It's not clear enough to just say you're from Delaware, so you tell people you're 2.5 hours east of D.C., and hour or two south of Phili, and fairly close to Baltimore.

2. Wawa is a way life.

Yes, Wawa is a gas station with a funny name. But it's so much more than that. The coffee is great, the deli makes the best sandwiches around, and the service always comes with a smile—plus, you're bound to see a cousin or two in the checkout line.

3. With the beach comes tourism and traffic, but you wouldn’t trade being this close to the water for anything.

Delaware beaches are gorgeous, which brings the tourists out. But the bumper to bumper summer traffic can be overlooked when you have coastline that is this gorgeous.

4. That being said, you roll your eyes upon sight of a New Jersey or Pennsylvania license plate.

Because Delaware is so small, the roads are normally pretty easy to navigate, but nothing messes up the traffic flow like a few drivers from NJ or PA. Maybe they don't understand our traffic patterns. Maybe they're not accustomed to our driving tendencies. Maybe they really just can't drive. The world may never know.

5. You refuse to shop in other states because sales tax is ridiculous.

That's right, DE doesn't have any sales tax. It may not seem like much, but saving that handful of pocket change every time you buy something adds up. When Delawareans go to other states, it's always an adjustment paying more than what the price tag says.

6. Scrapple is the breakfast meat of choice—just don’t ask what’s in it.

If you ever find yourself in Delaware for breakfast, order scrapple. While there's a huge debate over whether it should be served in thick or thin slices, there's no debate over the fact that it tastes great. Just don't ask what's in it. If you're curious and brave, go ahead and google it.

8. Your food has to be fresh: chicken, seafood, produce. If it wasn’t picked, plucked, or pulled from the water recently, you won’t eat it.

Delaware is big on fishing and agriculture (there are 200 chickens for every person in Delaware), and because of that, our food is always fresh. We have the best chicken, seafood, and produce around. Don't ever try to pass frozen or old food off as fresh to Delawareans—we'll be able to tell by the first bite.

9. You have tons of memories of summer nights on the boardwalk.

A summer in Delaware isn't complete without multiple trips to the Boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach. Funland, on the Boardwalk, has been around since 1962 and has retained it's timeless charm, fun, and price for over 50 years. Don't forget to stop by Thrasher's for fries with vinegar on top before you leave.

10. We brag about our fellow Delawareans that have made it big.

In cast you didn't know, the white-haired gentleman above is Vice President Joe Biden, who's from Delaware. The woman he has his arm around is Aubrey Plaza from "Parks and Rec," who is also a Delaware native. We're incredibly proud of famous Delawareans, and will be the first to remind you where they're from.

11. The Nicola’s vs. Grottos debate can get pretty heated.

Nicola's and Grotto's are big names in Delaware. Some people swear by Grotto's signature swirl, shown above. Others say skip the swirl and make the short walk across the Avenue to Nicola's. Naturally, I have an opinion on the debate, but I'll keep this professional.

12. Delaware is home to the East Coast’s Premier music festival, Firefly.

If you're a music fan and don't have the funds to fly out to Coachella, don't worry. Firefly music festival is one of a kind. Last year, I saw Paul McCartney and Snoop Dogg in the same night. It's an amazing experience and very cheap as far as music festivals go.

13. Delaware is the East Coast’s best kept secret.

We're small, kind of hidden, and not very well known. But we have quite a bit to offer. Full of beautiful parks, an awesome coastline, and pretty cool people (if I do say so myself), Delaware is truly a gem tucked away in the Mid-Atlantic.

14. You have an insane amount of pride over our little state. After all, we are the first.

Delawareans make fun of our state more than anyone else, but it's only okay when we do it. We love calling Delaware home.