Things I Will Do After This Election

Things I Will Do After This Election

My work isn't done in November.

7
Things I Will Do After This Election
Elliot Stallion

This election has been one for the books. Somehow, both parties (for the most part) seem to hate the candidate they elected. At least 5 times a day, I read the words, “A vote for anyone but Trump is a vote for Hillary!” and “A vote for anyone but Hillary is a vote for Trump!” My Facebook timeline is full of “If you vote for X, then you’re piece of trash” followed by a string of curse words and death threats.

I cannot wait for this election to be over. Not so my Facebook timeline will go back to cat videos and cute pregnancy announcements. Not so I can tuck any thought of politics away into a dark corner until next election season. I love politics. I love studying controversial topics and having educated debates with people. I love learning new things about these topics, but I am so tired of the hate. So, I am excited for this election to be over, but I am also excited for all the things I will do after this election is over:

Be More Open Minded, But Still Demand Respect

I have always had this idea in my head that for most things, there was one “right” idea. Then, this election happened. I had people I loved and respected more than anything on both ends of the political spectrum, and on every point in between. All of them couldn’t be right could they? Then, I realized that politics have a lot of gray area. It’s true that some people just vote a certain way because of their family or because it’s what they’ve been told, but many people have complex reasons for believing the way they do. I’m finally realizing how much I can learn when I stop assuming I’m right and the other person is wrong, and just listen.

On that note, this doesn’t mean I have to just agree with everyone. I’ve been afraid to express my views on a lot of things because I’m afraid of the judgment and backlash I might receive. I’m learning that I deserve the same amount of respect I give others.

Vote in Other Elections

Some people say that the president doesn’t actually matter; it’s Congress we have to worry about. I think that our decision for president is extremely important and I take my vote very seriously. However, voting for Congress is very important. We vote for House of Representatives every 2 years and for the Senate every 6 years (including this year!!). Regardless of who wins this presidential election, I plan on do my part to fill Congress with leaders who represent me and my values. I also plan on voting in local elections because I care about my community and what happens at home.

Continue Being an Activist

“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” As important as voting is, it’s also important that you’re doing everything you can to initiate change. Go to rallies and protest. Write angry letters to politicians. Sign petitions. Be an example. Educate others. Part of the reason I love writing for the Odyssey so much is because I have an open platform to share my ideas about feminism, politics, and equal rights. Find something that you’re passionate about and work your butt off for it.

Live My Life with the People I Love

Like I said, this election has been so full of hate. I deleted a fair share of people on Facebook, not because they disagree with me, but because they have said such awful and nasty things about anyone who disagrees with them. Here’s the truth: After this election, Donald and Hillary will still be rich. The American government will still be broken and corrupt. There will still be things happening every day in this country that make me sick to my stomach. While all of that is happening, I am going to want my friends and family by my side. So regardless of who you support, let’s come together, love each other, support one another. United we stand, divided we fall.