Things To Remember For College

Things To Remember For College

I needed everything on this list at one point or another.

13
Things To Remember For College
guidestar

I will be going into my third year of college and I am, at this very moment, packing. Every year, there are things that I forget to pack and, of course, some things that I’m so grateful that I remembered. So, I’ve made a list of necessary items to bring with you to school. This list is not in any way comprehensive, but it includes a few things you may not think about.

1. A plant

Plants are a great way to brighten up a sometimes-sad-looking little dorm room. I personally prefer cacti and succulents because they’re pretty and very difficult to kill. I usually keep one or two around my desk. Air plants are also nice and they kinda look like aliens, so it’s a win-win.

2. Extra blankets

My freshman year, the only blanket that I brought to school was my comforter for my bed. Before the heat kicked on, I was sleeping in a coat and sweatpants. It was unpleasant. Since then, I bring two extra blankets to school every year.

3. A water bottle

I don’t drink enough water and probably never will, but dragging my Nalgene everywhere I go does help. When I have it with me, I also tend to drink water with meals instead of soda, which is always a good choice.

4. A water purifying pitcher

I just recently bought a nine-dollar Brita pitcher that will fit in the smallest of mini-fridges. I bought it because I hate drinking sink water (it freaks me out) and because I hate buying jugs of purified water and creating so much unnecessary waste. This way, I can keep water in my fridge, fill up my Nalgene, and go about my day. I only have to buy a six-dollar filter every two months, and each filter replaces 300 plastic bottles of water, which I count as a major win.

5. Rain jackets

For some reason, at the start of every school year, it rains for what seems like a solid two weeks at Maryville College. When I get wet, I look like an angry cocker spaniel, so a rain jacket is important to me. I’ve gone through two low quality ones that have both ripped on me, so this year my mother broke down and is letting me take her Totes rain coat. I think this one just might make it.

6. Pictures

My cousin has a photo printer, so I have him print me out lots of pictures of my handsome boyfriend, my sister, and my cat to hang on a little line with miniature clothespins above my bed. It’s nice to have some familiar faces around, especially when you have a bad day.

7. Your favorite book

To me, nothing feels more like home than "Harry Potter" or "Looking for Alaska." I try not to overload on books, but I always bring my favorites for whenever I’m feeling particularly alone.

8. A pizza cutter and a can opener

I ate frozen pizza a lot more than I thought I would. I also almost cried once trying to open some SpaghettiOs without a can opener. Never again.

9. A coffee maker and good coffee

This is so I wouldn’t go broke buying coffee every day. I have a mini Keurig and a cheap French press for iced coffee when I’m feeling like it. I take mine black, so I don’t have to worry about sugar or cream, but I would suggest getting that if you’re into it.

10. Stain remover spray

I used this so often that it wasn’t even funny. Until I bought some Shout, there were many hot sauce stains on many pairs of running shorts and light jeans that really limited my wardrobe.