Things To Remember After The Election
Politics

Things To Remember After The Election

We're all dealing with election aftertaste.

19
Things To Remember After The Election
Project Five Thirty Eight

Given recent events, I thought I would shed some light on some of the things that we all need to remember. Although many people seem to think that America is going to fall apart in the next couple of months, I think that we will come out of this emotional election season stronger than ever. To make sure this is the case, here are four things to remember as you head into the week after election day:

1. Words can be used to build up, or tear down.

Since election day, I have avoided social media. The hatred (from BOTH sides) that was thoughtlessly posted was too much for me to handle. Cursing and attacking your fellow human beings is not going to change anything. Hatred (again, from BOTH sides) is not going to solve anything. Words that are harsh and said without consideration for how they come across to others will not do anything but cause rifts. Use your words to build up those around you – in person or online.

2. Listen to what others have to say.

It’s important to hear each other out. Some people are upset and some people are happy. Both have their reasons for being so. Hear them out and truly listen to what they have to say rather than half listening and half forming a response. If everyone would consciously and truly listen to one another, then the world would be a much better place.

3. Thoughtfulness matters.

I think something that we all could use right now is our own personal crew that censors what we say as we say it. Unfortunately, not many people have that. Think about what you are going to say and what you are going to do. Does lashing out against those you disagree with really help anything? Does protesting the perfectly legal and perfectly constitutional way this election was won do anything but cause more unrest? Think about what you are going to do and say BEFORE you do it, not after.

4. We’re all human.

Remember that everyone is dealing with what’s going on in the world right now. There’s a lot to handle and a lot to process. Give everyone a bit more grace than usual, and keep an open mind.