It's Okay To Take A Mental Health Day

Your mental wellbeing affects your overall wellbeing, positively and negatively, so don't be afraid to take a mental health day just like you would take a sick day.

When someone brings up the importance of mental health there's always that person in the group silently rolling their eyes and I'm sorry to say that for a long time I was that person.

I stay very busy and I'm lucky to be someone that can handle a lot of stress and pressure at one time, but when it all got to be too much my friend sat down with me and told me that it was okay to give myself a break, and I'm so grateful that she did.

She told somethings that I want to remind all of you because even though a lot of us talk about the importance of mental wellbeing, few of us do anything about it.

First let's talk about what mental health really is, other than a phrase that gets constantly thrown around. Mental health is our emotional, psychological and social wellbeing. It affects how we think, feel and act and if your mental health isn't doing well, you won't be doing well either.

It's important to check in with yourself when you're feeling extremely stressed and overwhelmed, especially for those with predisposed to mental health issues.

As a college student, our daily lives are filled with stressors as we balance school, work, internships, extracurriculars and friendships.

When my friend noticed I was getting in over my head with responsibilities and obligations she convinced me to take a day for myself. I was extremely reluctant at first because I felt like I couldn't even give myself one day to regroup but I listened to her advice and stepping from everything for just a few hours made such an impact.

Check-in on your friends, and yourself. It's okay to ask for help when you could use it.