9 Things To Do When You Feel Depressed

9 Things To Do When You Feel Depressed

Don't let depression stop you from living your life.

572
9 Things To Do When You Feel Depressed

Let's be honest, we all have been depressed at some point and wanted to lay in bed all day because we couldn't find the motivation to do anything. Depression is a common mental health disorder and affects about 16.2 million adults in the United States. These depression episodes can last anywhere from a couple hours, to days, to even weeks and the symptoms can range from mild to severe. If you are someone who suffers from depression, here are 9 things you can do to keep your mind occupied.

1. Listen to music

Kylie Bunbury Ginny Baker GIF by Pitch on FOX - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Sometimes it's best to just get lost in the lyrics of your favorite song and forget about all of your problems.

2. Exercise

Granted True Stories GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

It's been proven over and over again that exercise can improve your attitude.

3. Talk/ Socialize with your friend(s)

Season 3 Love GIF by NETFLIX - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Let your friend(s) know what is going on, maybe they can help cheer you up.

4. Avoid negativity

Happy Shaq GIF by JCPenney - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

I can't stress enough how important this is. Try to avoid any negativity you can possibly avoid. This includes not listening to sad music to make yourself even sadder!

5. Avoid overwhelming tasks

Avoid No Way GIF by Steve Harvey TV - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

By avoiding overwhelming tasks, you can focus on more manageable things and feel better about yourself when you complete them.

6. Write, Color or draw

Evil Dead Drawing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Sometimes the best way to express yourself isn't by speaking what's on your mind, but by giving a visual.

7. Think about positive things in your life

Suspicious Will Smith GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

For every negative thought, there's a positive.

8. Get out of bed!

Stretching Wake Up GIF by Bachelor in Paradise - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

You can't have a good day if you don't even get out of bed. Do yourself the favor and try to conquer the day!

9. Take a shower

It's a small victory to wash yourself up when feeling depressed and can help more than you think.