12 Things to Do This October In The Hudson Valley

Pumpkin spice and everything nice.

459

Now that October has arrived, everyone knows that this month will be one filled with everything pumpkin spice, changing leaves, scary movies, apple picking, pumpkin carving, scary movies, and Halloween. This time of year offers people everywhere dozens of different activities and attractions perfect for your next Instagram post. This is a special month for Marist College students in particular, being so blessed to reside in the Hudson Valley, because of the immense amount of activities that are available to us. From walkways and trails to orchards and Halloween attractions, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Adventure and Trails

1. Walkway Over the Hudson

This mile and a half long (aproximately) bridge runs across the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie, offering an incredible view of the Hudson Valley. The bridge is located right next to Lola’s Cafe, also a worthy spot to check out, not too far from the Marist College campus. It is perfect for a Saturday stroll with friends.

2. Minnewaska State Park Preserve

The 21,106 acre preserve is located in Kerhonkson, offering waterfalls and lakes as well as incredible views from cliffs in the park. Relax on a cliff with a boyfriend or friend and a pumpkin spiced latte from Starbucks.

3. Mohonk Preserve

The Mohonk Preserve is in Gardiner, which also has cliffs along with 8,000 acres of fields and forest, perfect for any four-legged friend.

4. The Wallkill Valley Rail Trail

This stunning park runs along the old Wallkill Valley Railroad, stretching about 23.7 miles. Along the trail, visitors will find a view of the Wallkill River as well as other wetlands and forest.

Farms and Orchards

5. Barton Orchards

This orchard in Poughquag offers many different attractions including a corn maze, apple orchard, and pumpkin picking. The orchard also has food, baked goods, and a farm market to buy items such as jams and old fashioned candies. Buy a few pumpkins with your housemates and decorate them on a Saturday night!

6. Dubois Farms

Dubois Farms resides in Highland and is a pick-your-own farm. Here you can pick many different types of seasonal fruits and vegetables including apples and pumpkins during the fall season. The farm also has a family-run stand and cafe that has food and baked goods. Cider donuts, anyone?

7. Fishkill Farms

In Hopewell Junction, Fishkill Farms also allows people to pick their own apples, which include golden delicious apples, red delicious apples, and McIntosh apples. This quaint farm has a farm stand carrying different types of cheeses, meat, and produce, for when you're feeling like being classy.

All Things Halloween

8. Forest of Fear

The Forest of Fear held in Tuxedo Park is said to be one of the number one scariest Halloween attractions in New York State. This attraction is open on the weekends, Friday through Sunday, and offers access to five different attractions all for one price. I recommend wearing sneakers.

9. Lainway Corn Maze

The Lainway Corn Maze will run till October 31st, every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Westown. The bigger corn maze is based on the Universal Studios movie “Crimson Peak.” The corn maze on Friday and Saturday is held at night, so bring a flashlight and some hot chocolate for the journey in the dark.

10. Pure Terror Scream Park

The Pure Terror Scream Park in Monroe is the largest Haunted Scream Park in the country. Guests go through over two miles of the park, passing through eleven different thrilling attractions along the way.

11. Horseman’s Hollow

Horseman’s Hollow is a haunted attraction that is going on its sixth year located at the Philipsburg Manor in Sleepy Hollow. This attraction brings the tale of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to life, transforming the manor into a haunted place filled with all different kinds of Halloween characters. Horseman’s Hollow will be open every weekend during the month of October.

12. Headless Horseman

The Headless Horseman is a haunted attraction, consisting of a combination of six different haunted houses, two corn mazes, and a walk-thru, in Ulster Park. Last year Marist College took students and it was both fun and frightening for all that went.

The Hudson Valley has everything a college student could ever desire during the beautiful month of October. From long hikes through forests of changing leaves to apple picking and hayrides, to exploring the depths of terror at any one of the best haunted attractions in New York State, Red Foxes everywhere could be entertained on any given autumn weekend. So this upcoming Saturday when you and your friends have nothing to do, consider one of these places or events to fulfill your fall desires.