10 Things To Do So You Won't Go Crazy In Quarantine

Staying in quarantine is a challenge for many reasons, but here are some things you can still do.

201
https://unsplash.com/photos/vXymirxr5ac
Anthony Tran

If being quarantined or having to social distance yourself from loved ones is getting to you, here are some tips. No one knows exactly what to do right now and it's normal to feel a little on edge. Just remember you are not alone even when you feel isolated, we are all in this together.

Don't just watch Netflix or scroll mindlessly on your phone.

This is probably the most important tip out of all of them. I know how easy it is to go down a rabbit hole with Youtube, Netflix or just social media in general. It's fine to take a break every now and then and do some of these things but I would try to limit that amount of time. I can almost guarantee that you will feel pretty unproductive if you spent your whole day watching Netflix or scrolling through Instagram. There is so much more you can do with your day besides these activities. I understand that many businesses have closed and everyone is feeling cramped and bored. However, going for a walk isn't cancelled (as long as you social distance), writing isn't cancelled and neither is painting or exercising. It is easy to fall into a slump thinking you can't do anything right now but I urge you not to do this. There are still plenty of things to do that don't involve staring at a screen.

Try to get some exercise.

If you live an area where you can go outside for a walk or run, do it. After you get some exercise, how ever much it may be, you will feel more energized and ready to take on another day. Since going outside is becoming more of a luxury rather than a standard now, you can still exercise inside your house. There are many at home work out tutorials on Youtube that you can watch and follow along with. Working out can also help you deal with the stress of everything going on. You can release some pent up energy and get a little more in shape, so why not try it? Lastly, don't feel like you have to do a super intense workout to feel better, just keep in mind that any exercise is better than none at all.

Call or FaceTime loved ones.

While it is important to stay home as much as possible, that doesn't mean you have to lose touch with people. With all of the technology we have at our disposal, keeping up with people is easier now more than ever. So call your friends, your grandparents, your cousins and whoever else. Everyone is doing similar things in trying to stay busy but talking to someone about how you feel is just as important. So I encourage you to call people that you care about, it will help you feel better and them too.

Create art.

Making art is not cancelled!! Creating art is a great pass time as well as a way to deal with emotions. When I say "create art" I'm not just talking about drawing. You can draw, paint, write poetry, write songs or whatever else you want to do. In creating visual art, you can express how you feel in an abstract way. Even if you usually don't do these types of things, why not try it now? Why not use this extra time in trying something new and maybe finding a new hobby to continue doing once normalcy returns.

Learn something new.

Whether it is watching "how to" tutorials on Youtube about cooking, tye dying a shirt or whatever else, try to learn something new. There is an infinite amount of things you could learn how to do and it is important to keep challenging yourself. For me personally, I am learning how to cook more and take classes on an online format. There are plenty of things to do or research, you just have to be willing to try.

Let your emotions out. 

This tip is also really important. While you are doing things to be productive, it is also important to step back every once in a while and take a break. Tell people how are you feeling, reach out to people for help and do what you need to do in order to cope with everything that is going on. It is okay to be sad, have off days or feel confused with all of the information going around. No one has all of the answers so it's okay to feel the way you do. So, let your emotions out whenever you can and try to remember that there is always a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Try making a new schedule/routine.

Having a routine is important when staying productive. I personally love having a set routine. Breaking your day into chunks of time for certain tasks will make you feel more in control and productive. If haven't made a new routine for yourself yet, consider giving it a try. It can help life feel a little more normal or as normal as it can feel right now. With so many things out of your control, you can still set your own schedule and use your time how you want to.

De-clutter/clean.

Cleaning the space you are living in really helps in feeling productive and organized. Having a clean and organized workspace helps you get more done and feel more put together. After you clean your room, bathroom, basement or any other room in your house or apartment, you're going to feel better because you accomplished something. If you aren't working right now, this is something you can physically do and see an end result, which can really help a person mentally. Also, if you have a lot of unwanted clothes or items now is the time to get rid of them. Even if you can't donate or sell them now, you can at least put some stuff in boxes and get it out of your closet.

Work on projects.

If your job or school is now online, you can use this time to get some projects or tasks done. While working online is completely different than working in your regular building, you can still get your work done. For me, creating a new work schedule/routine has helped me adjust more. If you are continuing to work right now I would recommend finding a new work routine. Like I said before, you can create a sense of normality by creating your new work day schedule and it really helps in staying focused.

Do some retail therapy. 

If you love shopping, doing some retail therapy could be a good pick me up right now. Obviously you shouldn't go overboard and order everything you see, but having a package arrive at your house could help you feel a little better. So if there is anything you have been eying maybe order it now. Don't go wild but one new shirt or dress won't hurt anyone.

I hope some of these tips helped you in this time of uncertainty. Staying quarantined and away from the people you love is so hard. It is honestly heart breaking to me but so important to do no matter how much it hurts. So do your best in staying productive but most importantly healthy, both mentally and physically. And just think when this is all over, you can tell people that you survived COVID-19 and didn't go crazy in quarantine.

From Your Site Articles