18 Things To Do Before 2018 Ends

18 Things To Do Before 2018 Ends

The first half of 2018 has been more or less of a bust while the second half of the year is approaching quickly.

9977
18 Things To Do Before 2018 Ends
Instagram

Last year you said would be better than the one before that, and this all of your New Years Resolutions have gone directly out the window and now you're feeling incredibly unmotivated and unaccomplished. Have no fear, it is never too late to set some SMART goals for the rest of the year ahead. The first known use of the term was in 1981’s November issue of Management Review by George T. Doran. SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable / Attainable, Relevant, Timely. I'll save you some time and make you an easy to follow cheat sheet!

1. Create less waste.

The hardest part about using reusable-anything is remembering to bring it with you. Next time you go to get your morning pick-me-up cup of coffee, bring a reusable mug or stainless steel straw. Additionally, glass food containers are your friend when it comes to creating less waste - imagine how many plastic sandwich bags you use on a weekly basis!

2. Attend LOTS of concerts.

Do you have a favorite artist you’ve always wanted to see live? Find if / when they’re playing near you and sing your heart out. Know of any local artists in your hometown? See when they’re playing their next gig and go support. There is nothing cooler than being in a room with a bunch of people who know your favorite songs.

3. Save $$$.

Next semester tuition bill coming in the fall? Really want those shoes you’ve been looking at for a while? Save $10 a week for the next 52 weeks and you’ll have yourself a good $520 by the end of it! Remember that anything counts and change adds up.

4. Shed some pounds!

Wishing you had more energy? Wishing to feel healthier? Wanting to get fit or strong? Wanting your clothes to fit a little bit better? Aim to shed a few pounds in the second half of 2018.

5. Read, journal, doodle, meditate, or just generally check in with yourself for 18 minutes a day.

Take some time to yourself and check in with how you are feeling. How are you feeling emotionally, physically, and mentally? How did your day go? What were your intentions? What went right? What didn’t go as planned? How can you make tomorrow better than today?

6. Take a trip.

You don't necessarily have to go far to take a trip. Never been to your local metro park? Go now. Never been out of the country? Book a flight.

7. Drink 64 ounces of water per day.

Sadly, the 14 caffeinated drinks you've had since peeling your eyes open don't count. Drink more water to gain more energy, get clearer skin, and overall feel better.

8. Read 8 books.

Dust off that old library card, log into that kindle account, visit your local bookstore and pick up something new.

For a list of what I'm currently reading, click here.

9. Volunteer 18 hours of your time.

Time is one of the most valuable things in the world, why not give a little to a good cause? Do you know someone looking for someone to walk their dog? Is there a local shelter you can get in touch with to see what they need? Maybe a community garden that needs weeding? People are always looking for help from folks who will give it.

10. Visit 18 new restaurants, coffee shops, tea houses, stores, etc.

Do you feel like you and your family or friends are constantly eating at the same restaurant, drinking the same cup of coffee, shopping in the same stores? Branch out, find something new.

For a list of places I visited in 2017, click here, or click for my current list in 2018!

11. Learn a new skill!

Always wanted to knit your own sweater, learn how to braid hair, skateboard, or speak a new language? The time is now and the possibilities are endless, you might even just find your new favorite hobby along the way.

12. Cultivate a morning/bedtime routine.

Your alarm clock goes off and you're bolting through the door, hair half-brushed, teeth cleaned, face washed, and looking like a hot mess. Better yet, you can't sleep because you pass out wherever you fall and never get a good night of sleep. Change that, cultivate something to help you wind up for the day, or wind down for bed.

13. Find a physical activity you actually enjoy.

If you hate running with a passion (like I do), find a physical activity you genuinely enjoy participating in. Yoga, walking, weight lifting, tennis, parkour - there is something out there for everyone.

14. Wrap your ears around some new music.

As much as I love listening to the same old tunes from the Alternative 2000's Playlist on Spotify, finding new music can be a fun way to expand on what you enjoy.

For a look at what I'm currently listening to, find me on Spotify here.

15. Attend a local event in your community.

Does your town have the coolest art fair around, but you've never been? Is there a local farmers market that you've never seen? Check your community calendar or event pages often, you never know what you might find.

16. Start your own blog!

Really enjoy underwater basket-weaving? Super into plants? Love film or photography? Create a blog and write about it. Blogger, Squarespace, Weebly, Instagram, and so many other platforms are available at your fingertips.

17. Spend more time doing things that make you happy.

Sing in the shower. Plant plants. Go for long car rides. Doodle. Learn. Whatever it may be, spend more of your valuable time doing things that make you happy to be alive in this world.

18. Say "thank you" more than "sorry."

Thank you for existing. Thank you for sticking around. Thank you for making me a better human. Thank you for reading this article.