9 Things That Are Normal In College, But Not In 'Real Life'

Let's face it. As college students, we've done some pretty weird things.

29
Augustana

You're stressed, you're grumpy, you're tired and you don't have your parents there to fix things or tell you what to do. The result? Chaos ensues, but you love it because you are in control. You feel like you are handling things just fine... until you get that weird look from your mom letting you know that your lifestyle must not be normal.

That's okay, though, because you are in college, and nothing is "normal" in college. Embrace your weird habits while you have a chance. Feeling less "normal" than average? Here are some "normal" college activities you might relate to. Just remember, you are not alone in the weirdness.

1. Going To Dutch Bros At 3 A.M.

Bored? Doing homework? Need some social interaction because you haven't left your room in three days? Going to Dutch is always an option, regardless of the time of day (or night). Not only is the coffee great, but the workers will always have a smile for you and some much-needed cheerfulness and chit chat to build your spirits back up and give you the motivation you need to survive the next few hours.

2. Staying Up All Night Doing Homework (Or Watching Netflix)

Now that you've gotten your energy in the form of liquid sugar, you're ready to get that paper done. Or... you could watch just one more episode of that cheesy but amazing new show you found on Netflix. Or two. Or three. Oops, time to find another show. Well, will you look at the time? Suddenly, it's 5 a.m. Guess you had better get some sleep before your 8 a.m. class.

3. Taking Three-Hour Naps Every Day

Because you stayed up all night last night watching Netflix—I mean, writing that paper—it's time to take a nap so you'll have enough energy to write that paper tonight. One hour will be perfect, right? But what if it takes awhile for you to fall asleep? Better make it two. Wait, what if your mom calls again like last time? Better make it three, just to be on the safe side.

4. Going To Events Just For The Free Food

Now that you are well rested, it's time to finally write that paper—except now you are starving. You're in luck! Club so-and-so is hosting an event for X reason, and the best part is, they will be giving out free food. Granted, this will push starting that paper back a couple hours, but you've got to eat, right? You really have no choice.

5. Drinking Straight Coffee Creamer When You're Thirsty

Man, now that you are finally back in your room, all that free food made you thirsty. You should have grabbed another free water bottle or soda, but you forgot—you were in a hurry to start that paper, after all. Of course, you've got nothing to drink in your room. But wait, didn't you put that coffee creamer in your fridge? That's a liquid, right?

6. Eating Cereal Straight Out Of The Bag

Now that you've sat down to finally get started, you find that you are hungry again. How is that possible? You notice that box of cereal your mom gave you forever ago. Of course, you have no milk—and you definitely don't need any more coffee creamer today. Cereal is kind of like chips, right? It still tastes good, even if it's a little dry.

7. Eating Ice Cream For Dinner Because It's The Only Thing You Could Find In Your Freezer

Congratulations, you've succeeded in watching YouTube for two hours and have written your introductory paragraph along the way. Guess what time it is? If you picked food time, you are correct! You approach the fridge and open the freezer hopefully. There it stands, your saving grace. You reach in with awe and withdraw the most sacred of items: ice cream.

8. Borrowing Spoons From Next Door Because You Are Too Lazy To Do Your Own Dishes

Of course, now that you've sat back down at your desk with the ice cream, determined to write while you eat, you realize that all your spoons are dirty. You could do your dishes finally, but that would take way too much time away from writing that paper, and you ­absolutely have to write that paper. What do you do? You head next door to your responsible friend's room and ask to borrow a spoon.

9. Wearing Pajamas To Class

You somehow manage to make it to class after writing that paper all night. Even though you haven't showered in longer than you would like to admit, and are still in your pajamas, you are here and that's what counts. The person sitting next to you greets you with, "you look like crap." You proceed to tell her how you stayed up all night and are exhausted because you've been way to "busy" with homework lately.