Things To Know Before You Do the Disney College Program

Some advice to help you prepare for the time of your life.

8488
Image Credit: Jordan Centeno

In the past few months, I have more and more people begin to ask me what the Disney College Program is like. There are quite a few individuals that I know who are considering doing the program. So I began thinking about the way I answer the question.

Usually, I just respond that it’s a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. I don’t feel that this is enough of an answer for them. I began thinking about things that I wish I had known or should have known before I started the program. I even took to our Disneyland College Program Facebook Group for advice on things I may have missed.

So, if you are one of the people who has asked about the program, want to ask, are thinking about it, or just want to know out of curiosity. Here are some things you should know before doing the Disney College Program.

You are going to work a lot.

There is no way around this. You have to work a minimum of 28 hours a week to make your rent. This is a loose minimum. Trust me you are going to be working way more. I have been working 40+ hour weeks straight since February.

If you allow them to schedule you for a sixth day and overtime, then you could be looking at 60+ hours a week. The most I was scheduled for was 67.5. I even know someone who was scheduled for 70 hours while in Disney World. It’s going to be tough, but you will get through it.

I think that a lot of us go in expecting, “Free Disney! Play in the Parks whenever I want! Go to the Beach! Explore the city!” While there is always time to fit this in, understand that it is not going to happen to the extent you expect. Your friend’s social media lives are quite a bit different from what they are doing on a day to day basis.

Just remember that because this is an internship, you are here to work and gain work experience. I don’t want it to come across as not fun because it is. I just want you to be prepared for the workload before it blindsides you.

As Bianca, from the DLRCP page, points out, “This isn’t a 9-5 job. Your hours will be weird and sometimes suck.” She is entirely right. Sometimes you will be getting off at 2AM one day, and the next coming in at 11AM. It’s tough, but it will happen. Trust me. It will happen.

Take time for you.

Sometimes it's a snuggle Pooh Bear in your Ariel onesie kind of night. And that is okay.

Disney wants you to be the best that you can be to give them your best work, but most importantly give the guests their best experience ever. You can’t do this if you’re sick, tired, depressed, cranky, etc.

You have to be able to pull together that happy face and leave your problems at the door when you come to work! We all struggle and it is harder than it looks, but sometimes the key to doing that is taking a personal day.

Parker from the Disneyland College Program page says,

“Make sure you sleep and take the time to rest.”

While Vanelli says,

“Sometimes a sick day to take care of you and your mental health is not bad every once in awhile.”

They are completely right. Take some you time on your days off to take care of you. Try your best to take care of you. As I write this, I am sick and drained, because I am not following their advice. Don’t be me and do that! Trust me you need it!

I know how tempting it is to use your days off to play in the parks, go to the beach, or go out with friends. Just take a couple of hours to sleep in or nap.

Your physical and mental health is important to keep up the job. Don’t spread yourself too thin. I had to go in and change my preferences not to allow the sixth day and limit the days that I could get overtime because it was becoming too much for me.

Know your limits and don’t be afraid, to be honest about them. Don’t forget that as well as work; you have to take a college program class, so that is extra time dedicated to the Program that you need to take into consideration. Remember to take care of you.

DO NOT TAKE CLASSES FROM YOUR COLLEGE!

You would much rather be doing this, and I am 100% serious about this. Something in your little heart may possess you with this idea.

DO NOT listen to it! It lies and knows nothing of what is to come! People are going to tell you not to do it, and you need to listen to them. You will not have time! No matter how much FAFSA you get, no matter how behind you are in school. DO NOT DO IT (*insert clapping emoji*)

I took four online classes from school, and I have failed every one of them. Do I regret it? 100% yes. I have full intentions of retaking them to replace the grade and make up for this semester, but I let people down, and I am completely disappointed in myself for it.

Do not do this to yourself because trust me - you don’t have the time. Multiple people are in the same boat as me, don’t be like us.

Let’s talk about roommates.

You never really know a person until you meet them. Do not plan your program around your roommates. Don’t expect to be besties and have the time of your lives together, because, girl/man, you aren’t ever going to see them.

Sorry, but it's true. A lot of times you are going to have conflicting schedules, and you are going to find yourself alone in your apartment, four hours buried in Netflix, wondering if they are still in the same galaxy as you. It’s going to happen. Don’t get too attached.

I am also not going to tell you whether to go random or pick your roommates ahead of time. That's all up to you. It's the luck of the draw either way. Just choose what makes you most comfortable. Follow your heart.

David from the Disneyland College Program Page points out that “it can be a challenge sharing a room.” Sometimes you may get someone who isn’t used to sharing space with other people; sometimes you may have someone who is too loud, too messy, too quiet, too anything.

You need to all understand the respect for each other’s space and schedules. Consider the opposite schedules again, be considerate if the other person is asleep don’t be shouting on the phone, inviting people over, or blaring the TV. Respect each other.

Don’t be afraid to set boundaries and some ground rules. No guests past 11PM, warnings before bringing someone over, heads up if you aren’t coming home, chore charts, etc., whatever your needs may be.

Calm and respectful communication is essential. Sometimes you may have someone unwilling to respect the others space, and in this case, it would be best to get a leader involved to mediate. Understand that there will always be small spats, but don’t be afraid to try to talk it out together calmly. No one should ever have to feel afraid to work something out. Just respect each other, and it should go smoothly.

Budget. Be smart and just do it

Ice Cream is Delicious, but it sure isn't cheap.

Rent isn’t cheap. Neither is gas. Neither is food. Neither is medicine, toilet paper, cleaning supplies. Everything costs money, and you are on your own. You know that “adulting” thing that we like to make fun of?

Get ready to do it. Start paying attention to Mom’s shopping list, because pretty soon it’s going to be your shopping list and Mom is going to laugh it you while you complain to her about your dwindling paycheck.

I am a firm believer that everyone falls on their butt at least once when they get out on their own because they go all willy nilly. Trust me; I am there right now and boy, is it a struggle to get back on that horse.

Those PopTarts look good now for $10 a box, but that’s $10 you are going to wish you had later while those PopTarts sit untouched on your shelf. Plan your spendings and don’t run your account on E. You may know your car, but trust me you can’t know what financial turns are going to get thrown at you.

Appreciate the opportunity you have been given.

Yes, work is going to get rough. Things are going to happen. Sometimes you are going to need to vent. But do not let it consume you. One of the most humbling things I have heard so far is that I work at Disneyland and when I talk about it, I am mostly complaining about the hours or the things that go wrong.

I can promise one hundred percent to anyone that has thought this of me. The good outweighs all the negative by far! If not, I wouldn’t be here. Sometimes it gets tough, and it’s human nature to need to vent and sometimes complain, just do not let that be what consumes your mind.

Remember that you were selected to be here out of tens of thousands of applicants. Something in you stood out to them that made them want to pick you. Make sure you are putting your best self forward, you represent Disney now. Be appreciative and respectful of those who would die to be in your position now. Not many can say that they worked at a Disney park.

Sarah from the Disneyland page wrote, “See the program as a new beginning and come in with an open mind.” On our first day, one of our leaders told us, “this program is going to change your life.” He assured us that we would come out a new person at the end. Open your mind to this change and let the experience affect you.

Make the Most out of Your Program

Melissa from the Disneyland College Program page writes, “Sign up for every event, go to lots of voluntEAR events.” Get involved. Don’t hide in your apartment, if you can do it. Do it. The college program offers you lots of fun events to attend, don’t miss out on one.

Be on your computer when those sign ups open so you can secure your spot on awesome tours and other fun events. VoluntEARs are great ways to get involved with the company and give back to your community in a variety of ways.

Remember when I said to let the program affect you? This is how you do it. Do not waste the opportunity, make new friends and be open to new experiences. You never know where the next one is going to lead you.

While it is hard at times and there are moments where I want to pack everything and go home to my family, boyfriend, friends, and pets; I wouldn’t have traded this for the world. This experience means the world to me, and I am so excited for everything that I have done, accomplished, and will do.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I would recommend to everybody. If you want to do the program, every program has a Facebook group, join those. Watch DCP vloggers, they can tell you everything you need to do, the do’s and don’ts, if you will. Just promise me that you are going to make the most out of this program do not end up regretting anything!