Things Personal Trainers Are Tired of Hearing

There's just some things we get tired of hearing..

82
Tests Sports Training

There's a ton of things that personal trainers hear from our clients on the daily. Here's a few of the things that we are a little tired of hearing..

You don’t look like a trainer!

Not every trainer is going to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or a woman fitness model. I like to think that I am more approachable because I don’t look like that. Talk about intimidating!

Do I have to?

To be completely honest, you really don’t have to do anything I ask you to do. You really don’t. It doesn’t bother me one bit if you don’t want to do it. I will just give you an alternative. But instead of whining about it, just ask me to do something else.

I don’t feel a burn after, so I must not have done enough.

There’s this lovely thing called DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness, and let me tell you, it will be a bitch later. I will not push you too too hard on purpose. Based on your first session, I calculate progression for you and try not to have you burn out too fast. Quick story time: I had a friend who went to try out tire flips for the first time last week. I had her stop after a few trips up and down the field, but she wanted to keep going. Four days later, I asked her if she wanted to go again, but she was still hurting from the DOMS.

Muscle Milk or Syntha-6 or Gold Standard?

Honestly, I’ll probably tell you the simplest thing. Unless you’re a bodybuilder, which I’m assuming you wouldn’t be if you’re coming to me for help, you don’t need the extra protein. If you’re using it as a meal replacement, I’d say it's more about flavor than anything.

My friend does __________.

Unless you are identical twins, there are so many differences between you and your friend fitness-wise. Every plan I give is a bit different. It’s completely customizable and is made to fit the client. Body type, bone structure, fitness level, nutrition, lifestyle, family history…and many other components go into the fitness plan.

I want people to like me.

Never, ever, ever get it into your head that people will like you better if you get fit. If people don’t like you when you are “fat,” those are the people you need to avoid when you get in shape. You are as awesome a person inside as you can be, no matter what the outside of you looks like.

My bf/gf says that I should go to the gym.

Break up with them first, then come see me. If they genuinely care about your health and have a legitimate concern, that’s fine. If you’re perfectly healthy and they are just assholes that only care about your physical appearance, I’ll give you the one best piece of advice that I can. Leave them.

I need to carbo-load before I come to the gym.

Please don’t. For the love of god, we are not training for a marathon. There should be no reason that you are carbo-loading for the gym. The carbs you’re ingesting are just going to negate what we are working on in the gym.

I just want to do cardio. I don’t want to get bulky.

You really don’t need a trainer if all you want to do at the gym in cardio. There’s treadmills, steppers and bikes for you to use.