10 Things All VSCO Girls Own

10 Things You Should NEVER Wear Or Own If You Don't Want To Be Labeled A 'VSCO Girl'

Sksksksksks and I oop!

5786

"VSCO Girl" has become the new way of insulting young, white girls and teenagers.

There has always been a term used to insult white females for every generation, like the term "Valley Girls" that was used in the 1980s to insult girls from California.

Today the newest insult is "VSCO Girl" which is a label specifically meant to mock 15-year-old girls or any girl that uses creative means to post pictures.

See also: To The Self-Proclaimed 'VSCO Girl' — Thanks To You, I Can No Longer Wear Scrunchies

The term has gained tons of popularity through TikTok which made the term go viral through several memes and videos.

There's also a particular look that a "VSCO Girl" has and certain items that they use, according to the stereotype.

Here are 10 things to avoid doing if you don't want to be labeled as the "VSCO Girl" of your friend group.

1.DON'T Wear More Than One Scrunchie On Your Wrist.

Cheryl / Flickr

The biggest trait that any "VSCO Girl" has is wearing too many scrunchies on her wrist.

Scrunchies are hair accessories that were a trend brought back from the 1980s.

So if you want to avoid being labeled as a "VSCO Girl" you'll probably want to avoid having more than one scrunchy on your wrist.

2. DON'T Carry A Kanken Purse. 

Lisa Risager / Wikimedia Commons

Almost all images of "VSCO Girls" depict girls using a specific brand of backpack known as a Kanken.

It's basically a small bright colored backpack that is sometimes used as a purse. It's another big accessory that's always associated with the "VSCO Girl" stereotype.

3. DON'T Wear A Shell Necklace.

Metropolitan Museum of Art / Wikimedia Commons

Another big thing to avoid is wearing a shell necklace.

Just like wearing scrunchies, wearing any type of shell necklace is a big indicator that you fit the "VSCO Girl" stereotype.

Instead, wear a different type of necklace but avoid wearing any shell necklaces too often or while wearing other items listed.

4. DON'T Wear Brown Sandals.

CC0 Public Domain / Pxhere

Sandals are another big thing that's associated with being a "VSCO Girl".

Wearing sandals in any type of weather, along with long shirts, will immediately label you as a "VSCO Girl". Particularly brown-colored sandals or Birkenstocks (like the ones above).

See also: 20 Fashion Trends We NEED To Cancel By 2020, Because Birkenstocks Should Only Be Worn By Your Elderly Uncle

5. DON'T Have Too Many Laptop Stickers.

NeONBRAND / Unsplash

If you have one too many laptop stickers that cover every corner of your laptop, then people will probably label you as a "VSCO Girl."

This is particularly aimed at young adults in college who cover their laptop with stickers.

If you walk on campus, you'll see tons of college girls with laptop stickers. You may be fine if this is the only item that you have on this list, but if you combine it with another one, then you'll be known as the "VSCO Girl."

6. DON'T Wear Your Hair In A Bun Too Often.

Ravi Roshan / Unsplash

Don't wear your hair in a bun too often if you don't want the label.

The "VSCO Girl" stereotype is often accompanied by girls always wearing their hair in a bun wherever they go. So ditch the bun and try to keep your hair down to avoid the stereotype.

7. DON'T Wear Checkered Vans.

Lena Rose / Unsplash

One big thing that you won't want to wear is checkered Vans.

Many "VSCO Girls" are often depicted wearing a pair of simple checkered Vans. This also sometimes includes white Vans paired with the other outfit staples mentioned on this list.

8. DON'T Wear A "Pura Vida" Bracelet.

Michelle Boyea / Flickr

Having a "Pura Vida" bracelet on your wrist will put you into the "VSCO Girl" category.

Any bracelet that is a type of string, multi-colored bracelet is associated with the stenotype. Sometimes beaded bracelets are also suspect.

9.  DON'T WEAR An Oversized T-Shirt With Tiny Basketball Shorts.

Vineyard Vines / Instagram

Any internet search with the term "VSCO Girl" will pop up with a girl wearing an oversized shirt or sweatshirt with really short basketball shorts.

Wearing an oversized shirt and shorts is therefore the first thing that people use to identify someone as a "VSCO Girl".

10. DON'T Carry Burts Bees Chapstick. 

Joanne Saige Lee / Flickr

Finally, carrying Burt's Bees chapstick will also tell the world that you're a "VSCO Girl".

I'm not sure why it's this particular brand of chapstick, but probably because it's the most popular one. If you're constantly using this chapstick, you'll probably be labeled as a "VSCO Girl."

The annoying thing about the "VSCO Girl" stereotype is that most of the items listed are very subtle and ones that any girl would normally use!

Maybe this is why the term "VSCO Girl" went from being an insult to a popular trend that every girl wants to follow. But if you want to avoid the label, you should probably avoid wearing or having too many of the items listed.