Reasons Why VSCO Trend Is Bad

To The Self-Proclaimed 'VSCO Girl' — Thanks To You, I Can No Longer Wear Scrunchies

I promise I'm not weird - I won't "SKSKSKSKSK" in your face ironically.

8924

"VSCO girls" have easily become one of the biggest internet trends of 2019. Loved by young teenage girls, and hated by the rest of the world for their "quirkiness." The VSCO girl trend has skyrocketed over the last two months. For the people who aren't aware of what a VSCO girl is, I have done three days worth of research for you.

From Urban Dictionary:

"VSCO GIRL- Wears oversized T-shirts or sweatshirt with Nike shorts. Has Vans, Crocs, Birks, and wears a shell necklace. She also wears tube tops and jean shorts. She always has a Hydroflask. She can't leave home without a scrunchie and her favorite car is a jeep."

And another:

"VSCO GIRL- Basically the most basic girl you'll find out there. Common interests include scrunchies, Hydroflasks, seashell chokers, and Birkenstock's."

And finally:

"VSCO GIRL-Type 1: Actually decent. Really pretty and not annoying, and doesn't call themselves VSCO. They have all of the VSCO girl items, like scrunchies, a Hydroflask, a Kanken backpack, shell necklaces, oversized shirts, friendship bracelets, Crocs, and Birkenstocks. And not because it makes them VSCO, but because they like them. They will also obviously have a VSCO and probably be pretty chill. Bonus points if they have sleepovers on their trampoline or something and have a Jeep but also aren't annoying about it.

Type 2: Demon spawn. They will have ALL of the VSCO gIrl items, and call themselves VSCO Queens. I know girls like this. It's scary. But, VSCO is not an adjective. Their arms will be full of bracelets and scrunchies. They'll always say sKskskk out loud. If you're on Twitter you probably say skksksk but not out loud. But you see, these girls probably say it out loud. They also probably think Billie Eilish is unknown. And, they probably play the ukulele but really only know riptide. Maybe they'll know House of Gold, but if they do twenty-one pilots will always do it better. I really do not like these girls.

Basically, you can be a VSCO gIrl, but please not the annoying ones."

In short, the "basic white girl" of 2013 with Ugg boots, leggings, and a Starbucks Frappuccino is outdated and the new girl in town is the VSCO girl. Now that everyone knows what being a VSCO girl entails, I can share how my daily interactions with people have changed because of the domination of VCSO girls.

In short, the "basic white girl" of 2013 with Ugg boots, leggings, and a Starbucks Frappuccino is outdated, and the new girl in town is the VSCO girl. Now that everyone knows what being a VSCO girl entails, I can share why my daily interactions with people have changed because of the domination of VCSO girls.

Reason 1: I love scrunchies! I have long, thick, and curly hair so having something to keep my hair up without putting a dent in my hair is essential to my daily life.

Reason 2: I take my metal straw with me because I CARE about the planet. I like to be as eco-friendly as one can be to do my part in helping our earth.

Reason 3: I wear Crocs because I never like having my bare feet exposed and they're COMFORTABLE.

Reason 4: I own a Hydroflask because I enjoy a high-quality water bottle that keeps my water cold all day. I put Broadway stickers on my Hydroflask not only because I love personalizing things, but also because people barely know the references and I have a less likely chance of my stuff being stolen.

Reason 5: My Fjallraven Kanken bookbag was on my wishlist for seven months, but I waited to get my beautiful hunter green bag until after I finished high school. I enjoy the padded straps and back pads for comfort when lugging all my materials for classes. I didn't get this bag because of the trend going around, I was jealous my sister had something I didn't have.

Reason 6: Wearing T-shirts with running shorts has always been one of my favorite things to wear. My sister (yes, the same one I was jealous of) gave me some of her old shirts she was getting rid of, and I loved the comfort of wearing a 2X in men's clothes.

Reason 7: Since October of 2018 I have used the VSCO app filter C1 (Chromatic) to edit my Instagram pictures. This was long before the TikTok trend surfaced and NEW people started to edit with Chromatic - I bought the filter long before some of these VSCO girls even reached age 16 (a.k.a. when you are allowed to make accounts on certain apps).

In conclusion, if you're going to call me a VSCO girl, please let me be the good kind. I promise I'm not weird I won't "SKSKSKSKSK" in your face ironically. As for the girls who flaunt every item making a bad name for the rest of us, chill out.